The University of Toronto, Canada is awarding the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship to talented, financially disadvantaged Sub-Saharan African students to pursue undergraduate study. The MasterCard Foundation Scholarship covers expenses such as tuition fees, travel expenses (including obtaining a passport), housing, food, books and other expenses for the duration of a four-year undergraduate degree.
The MasterCard foundation Scholarship will be awarding about 67 scholarships to talented students from Sub-Saharan African countries to pursue their undergraduate study in Canada. The aim of the Program is to educate and enable students to contribute to the economic growth and social development of their countries of origin. Selected scholars will be provided with full financial assistance in relation to tuition, travel expenses (including obtaining a passport), housing, food, books and other expenses for the duration of a four-year undergraduate degree.
To apply for the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship, applicants should meet the following requirements:
- Applicants should be a resident and a graduating high school student of a country within Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Applicants should demonstrate financial need correspondent to that of the lowest two quintiles of your country;
- Have very strong academic results within your school system;
- Have a record of leadership and extracurricular involvement
- maintain a strong desire to return to Africa to assist and work towards enhanced regional socioeconomic development;
- be graduating from a recognized secondary school, or have completed the necessary academic requirements; and
- Fulfill the necessary English requirements (dependent on country).
- Please note that both academic and English requirements differ based on the country and educational system you are coming from
Fields of study
Scholarship will cover first-entry undergraduate programs in either the Faculty of Arts and Science or the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering in University of Toronto, Canada.
What the scholarship covers
The MasterCard Foundation Scholarship covers expenses such as tuition fees, travel expenses (including obtaining a passport), housing, food, books and other expenses for the duration of a four-year undergraduate degree.
How to apply
Applicants will have to submit a completed application package to the University of Toronto by email with the following documents:
- A completed application form, with all applicable sections for both applicant and counsellor filled out (including contact information, financial information, personal details and essay questions). To obtain an application form, please speak to your counsellor or advisor.
- A scanned copy of all applicable financial documentation.
- A scanned copy of your secondary school transcript and any other academic information.
- Two reference letters (one academic, one personal).
Contact the scholarship provider here for more information on how to apply.
Applications for the 2014-2015 academic year are now closed (16 December). Please contact the scholarship provider here for updates regarding the 2015-2016 applications.