Springfield, the state capital of Illinois is a city of flat plain land with a popular artificial lake known as Lake Springfield which enhances the city view.
The weather condition of Springfield varies from hot summers to cold winters with fall and spring seasons occurring in between.
The university was first established as Sangaon State University (SSU) in 1969. SSU was acquired by University of Illinois, thus obtaining the name UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT SPRINGFIELD sited on 740 acres of land adjacent Lake Springfield. The university thereafter started online courses in 1999, so as to facilitate learning among people residing far and near.
From history, UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT SPRINGFIELD is known for providing a homely environment for students of different backgrounds, nationalities and culture. To achieve this, equal opportunities are given to all students. The percentage of students from different regions of the continent who have studied at the university are summarized below:
3.8% – Asian
11.6% – Black or African American
5.0% – Hispanic or Latino
55% – White
19.3% – International
2% – Two or more races
3.2% – All others
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT SPRINGFIELD provides conducive faculty structures with lecturers who are proficient in practical knowledge. The school ensures that few students are taken by a lecturer at a time. Furthermore:
- UIS ensures students are well equipped with the knowledge and skills needed for a successful career.
- UIS promotes excellence in students by providing scholarships even beyond public activities.
- Engages in the establishment of various form of programs, organizations and public activities.
- UIS uses advanced technology and methods to circulate its teaching and learning beyond the campus by introducing online courses.
In the year 2014, UIS was ranked as the 8th best college and 36th among regional universities.It has also been ranked as number 63 in Regional University Midwest award as well as the 1th in Top Public Schools award.
The university has also obtained awards on its online program. These awards include #26 as Best Online Graduate Business Programs, #54 in Best Online Bachelor’s Programs, #123 in Best Online Graduate Education Programs.
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT SPRINGFIELD has over 1000 faculties and staff consisting of 225 full-time faculties and 162 part time faculties which offer 31 undergraduate degree programs, 20 Master’s programs and a doctorate in public administration and some online courses.
To apply to any of the programs at UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT SPRINGFIELD,an applicant must have graduated from previous level of studies, that is, applicants for undergraduate and Master’s programs must have finished high school or an undergraduate program respectively.
Students are to summit a personal statement about themselves and an official transcript showing evidence of taking at least:
- Four years of English course including written, oral and literature.
- Three years of taking Mathematics courses in Algebra, Calculus, Trigonometry and Geometry.
- Three years of Social studies focusing on History and Government. Economics, Geography, Philosophy, Political science, Psychology and Sociology are accepted in place of Social studies.
- Three years of Laboratory science practices in Biology, chemistry, Physics, Geology and Astronomy.
- Two years of taking a foreign language or two years of Fine Art studies (Music, Art, Dance or Theatre).
MASTER’S PROGRAM APPLICANTS
- Students must complete and submit an application to the university via the university website.
- Must have official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- Candidate must have graduated with a minimum grade-point average of 2.50 on a 4.00 scale.
The university accepts transfer students from a certified college or university from Illinois region. Requirements include:
-Students must hold an associate in Arts, Arts and Sciences or Sciences together with having a good stand in the general education requirements for UIS programs.
– Applicants must have 30 or more hours of college credit with an average cumulative grade point of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale. Students with lesser hours credit can only apply as a fresher.
– Application to junior year at UIS involves presentation of evidence of completing 60 semesters with an average grade of ‘’C”. Also, those seeking for a second Bachelor’s degree are also granted such.
The University, with the help of some organizations gives a yearly merit scholarship award of about $350,000 to freshmen and transfer students. The scholarship covers tuition, fees and assessments.
|Part time/full time||Resident||Non-Residents|
|Accommodation per academic year
|Tuition rate per credit hour||$313.50||$631.00|
|Proctoring Level||Cost of Exam per Hour|
A $7.00/hour fee is paid for additional examination hours at any of the levels. Cancellation of examination within 24 hours will attract $5.00 charge per occurrence.
Read also: Full list of accredited online universities
At the UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD, accommodation is available for both local and foreign students but the cost of accommodation differs. Houses, off campus are more expensive than on campus as living off campus may require transportation which is additional expense for students. In addition, students staying off-campus miss out on social affairs happening on campus.
UIS provides accommodation for students who will like to live on campus. Early application is encouraged in order to obtain one’s desired accommodation preference. Late application will either cause applicants to choose from the accommodation available after first allocation or to live off-campus.
The university gives a refund of accommodation fee to students who for one reason or the other will no longer be staying on campus. It should be noted that off-campus arrangement is between the student and the housing agent.
COST OF LIVING
|Monthly rent for 85m2 (900 Sqft) furnished apartment in normal area||$889.00|
|1kg of Tomatoes||$3.71|
|1 kg of Potatoes||$1.55|
|Bread for 2 people for 1 day||$1.62|
|1 litter of whole fat milk||$0.61|
|12 large eggs||$1.93|
|2 litres of Coca-Cola||$1.98|
|Combo meal in a fast food restaurant||$7.00|
|1 pair of jeans||$52.00|
|1 pair of sport shoes||$98.00|
|1 summer dress||$45.00|
|Monthly ticket for public transport||$31.00|
|4 rolls of toilet roll||$5.00|
|1 month Internet 8 mbps||$75.0|