Essay writing is an interesting and sometimes challenging process. There are many good essay topics, but some college and high school students do not know how to pick the ones that will be the most appropriate.
You should remember that there are many essay types: argumentative, cause and effect, descriptive, informative, compare and contrast, definition, exploratory, personal, persuasive, problem solution, analysis, and others. So, your topic will also depend on the type you are going to write.
To choose an effective essay topic, you must follow some tips:
- Try to pick a subject you are familiar with, because this will allow you to write a better essay and to receive a higher grade. If you choose a subject you know nothing about, you will not be able to freely discuss it and provide enough information about it.
- Before writing your essay, start with the outline. Write an approximate plan, think of the structure, and choose the main points you are going to present in your paper.
- Try to attract your readers’ attention. Choose an interesting or even a shocking topic, suggest new arguments, or raise interesting questions. Even if your paper is not perfect and you have some minor mistakes, interesting contents will capture the readers’ attention and will save your grade.
- Don’t be scared to express your thoughts. Don’t be shy, as any opinion is worthy of people’s attention. No matter what you think and write, never be afraid to sound stupid because every writing is the way to express one’s point of view and the reader will consider your opinion anyway.
College Essay Topics
Good essay topics are one of the requirements for creating a great and interesting paper. College students have enough knowledge to discuss pretty much anything, so essay writing is not a big problem for them. But sometimes students don’t know what to write about. Here are some ideas for essay topics which might help you get inspired and compose a great original essay:
- Adoption. This topic is rather wide: you can discuss how adoption influences adopted kids, how it helps couples save their marriage, or how it can influence the world’s overpopulation problem. Or to express another opinion, you can write about some negative sides of this social phenomenon.
- Working while attending college. It is not a secret that many college students try to combine work and education, which means this subject will be relevant and interesting to raise. You can describe how getting a job affects students’ academic performance, personal growth, sense of responsibility, and social interactions.
- Atheism. College students are old enough to define what they believe or don’t believe in, so this topic is interesting to discuss and present arguments for.
- Obtaining education abroad. Many students leave their home countries and study abroad. There’s so much you can say on this matter: how studying abroad benefits students, how much stress it can cause, how it affects the local economy and educational system, how it changes one’s character, etc.
- Abortion. Another adult topic you can use to express your personal thoughts on the matter. This topic is great because there’s a lot of information on it, including various researches, statistics, and other helpful data you can use in your essay.
- The relations between the First World countries and the Third World countries. This topic is of current interest and can describe how the First World countries should take responsibility for providing better health care and economic assistance to the Third World countries.
- Bilingual education. It’s an interesting subject as it covers not only education and intellectual development but also personal growth, communication skills, socializing, and the development of educational systems.
- Experiments on animals. You can express your opinion on the subject of animal testing and suggest possible solutions to this problem.
- The conflict of generations. Another relevant topic for young college students because they can describe the relations between different generations and what issues they face.
- Actual human teachers vs. computers, online courses, and educational apps. You can raise various questions in your essay: which method of learning is better, how computers influence the educational system, what human teachers have that computers can’t offer, how each of these learning methods influences students’ lives, and so on.
Essay Topics for High School
High school students also need to be involved in the essay writing process as it helps them develop different skills and teaches them how to express their thoughts. High school essay topics vary, and there are many good essay topics to choose from. Here are some of them:
- Children running away from their homes. Many youngsters find themselves in a situation like that, so it’s a relevant essay topic which will raise readers’ interest and will make them think about possible solutions to this problem. You can describe the reasons why high school children decide to leave their homes and the consequences this decision leads to.
- Animals in zoos and the way we treat them. Is it fair to keep them locked up? You can talk about animal rights or the way people use animals for the amusement and try to find the way to resolve this issue. You can also talk about animals in circuses.
- Computer games. Some people think that gaming is bad for school kids and their intellect; others state that computer games help improve numerous skills. What is your personal opinion on this matter?
- Military service and whether it should be mandatory. It’s another topic of current interest.
- Television as a great influence on our lives. You can describe how television creates a new variant of culture, gives us new life and beauty standards, provides us with knowledge, and gives us good or bad examples of behavior.
- Space research and whether humans should do it. As the space science is developing very fast these days, such topic is of current interest and will allow you to talk about the pros and cons of space research.
- Social networks and how they help us build relationships, or how they make family relationships and friendships worse.
- Eating disorders among high school kids. You can talk about what causes eating disorders, how people can help school students, how to prevent this problem, and what it leads to.
- Computers vs. books. As technologies play a great role in our lives these days, such topic will be interesting to discuss. You can try to predict which one is going to win in the future, or if there are going to be any books left in the future.
- How adults create an example for children. You can discuss how kids observe the behavior of the grown-ups and learn from it, how it influences them, and the consequences it creates.