Becoming a pilot is not just by wishing thinking’s. It requires, money, and passion to make that dream come through. Taking your pilot training in the UK is quite okay only if you can foot the bills. The UK have some of the best aviation schools in the world. Planning to study there, here are 5 top flight schools in the UK.
Flight schools in the UK: Qualifications you need to become a pilot in the UK
- To work as a professional commercial airline pilot and fly an aircraft with nine or more passenger seats you’ll need to apply for an Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL) from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).
- Before you can do this, you’ll be expected to have undertaken the necessary training and obtained a Class 1 Medical Certificate (valid for 12 months until you’re 40).
- Trainee pilots also need to hold good GCSE passes in mathematics, English and science.
- A second language will also prove useful. While a degree isn’t essential, A-levels are viewed favourably.
- You’ll graduate from flying school with a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) and an Instrumental Rating (IR), which combine to make up a ‘frozen ATPL’. With a frozen ATPL you’ll be able to apply for jobs as a first officer or co-pilot.
- To ‘unfreeze’ your ATPL you’ll need to complete 1,500 hours flying experience, after which you’ll be able to apply for jobs as a captain.
- Also, you’ll need to pass a practical skill test, in addition to ATPL theoretical knowledge exams in areas such as air law, operation procedures and radio navigation.
Steps to becoming a pilot
Flying schools, offer two types of professional flight training namely integrated and modular.
The Integrated courses permit trainee pilots with no prior flying experience to gain their ATPL within 18 months. Courses of this type are quite deep and as such you’ll need to finish the training in one go. Integrated courses incorporate both theoretical study and practical flying experience. While the modular training is completed in segments, thereby allowing trainees to work alongside their studies to pay course fees.
However, for anyone to be admitted into a modular training course, it requires that the person must have gained a Private Pilot Licence (PPL) and 150 hours of flying experience. While this method is more affordable than the integrated option,the duration is the difference.
Read also: Flight Schools in South Africa
Skills needed to become a pilot
To become a pilot, you’ll need a specific set of skills. These include:
- a passion for aviation
- technical aptitude
- aptitude for numbers and data analysis
- the ability to remain calm under pressure
- problem-solving ability
- attention to detail
- the ability to work well in a team
- excellent communication skills
- decisiveness and the ability to think on your feet.
5 top flight schools in the UK
- Midland Air Training Limited
MIDLAND AIR TRAINING Limited is one of the top flight schools in the U,. Established in 1972, this flight school is still regarded as one of the best. It is located at Coventry Airport and is owned by Ron Walker.
MIDLAND AIR TRAINING Limited is authorized for flight training well beyond the basic PPL stage through to advanced instrument flying, night flying, ground study subjects and all flight and ground tests.
It has modern flight training facilities with qualified trainers. Also, trainees get to have theoretical and practical-based teachings.
- CRM Aviation (Europe) Limited
This is one one of the Approved flight schools in the UK. CRM Aviation are approved to deliver Multi Crew Co-Operation (MCC) courses, Multi Crew Co-Operation Instructor (MCCi) courses, Advanced UPRT- Aeroplane Courses and Advanced UPRT – Aeroplane Instructor Courses.
Incorporated in 2008 CRM Aviation Europe Limited, has established itself as the leading modular provider of Advanced UPRT-Aeroplane, JOC and MCC Courses in the UK.
It offers professionally delivered competency based evidence training courses in our EASA Approved Alsim ALX simulator and our Slingsby Firefly aircraft with industry leading instructors.
3. Airways Aviation Academy
With over 30 years of international experience, Airways Aviation is considered as the largest privately owned group of multidisciplinary aviation academies of its kind and delivers professional aviation education & training to prepare our students for optimum career outcomes. Its certified EASA, CASA, ICAO and IATA courses couple the most advanced practical & theory techniques to match the rapidly increasing demand for:
- Commercial Pilots
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineers
- Ground Handlers
- Cabin Crew
Airways Aviation brings more than 30 years of aviation experience to offer world-class pilot training for aspiring pilots from a number of global locations.
4. ACS Flight Trainings- Perth,Scotland
Established in 2007, ACS Flight Training is Scotland´s busiest Commercial Flight Training Organisation and Instrument Rating specialist.
Since 2007, the flight school have trained more than 1000 pilots. Recognised for teaching experience, industry credentials and professional reputation have been built up over more than 12 years of aviation excellence.
5. Aeros Flight Training -Gloucester
Aeros Gloucester is an established avaiation school and happens to be one of the top flight schools in the UK. It provides for both Private Pilot and Commercial Pilot Licence courses in airplane Private Pilot, Commercial Pilot, Instrument Rating quality training towards these licences and associated ratings including Night, IMC, Multi-Engine Piston, Instrument Rating and Instructor Certificates.
Flight schools in the UK are generally expensive but the quality you get worths the fee. Apart from these listed flight schools in the UK, you could consider structured programmes offered by major airlines, such as Aer Lingus, British Airways (BA), Ryanair, Virgin Atlantic and easyJet. They work with established providers who’ll carry out the pilot training. While commercial airlines used to sponsor trainee pilots in the past,
The majority of structured programmes are now fully self-funded. However, your chances of securing employment with the organisation on completion of the programme are high. The choice is yours. See you at the top!