The University of Western Australia International Research Scholarship (IPRS) is now open for application. The IPRS is for international students who wish to undertake a degree of Master by Research or Doctorate by Research at The University of Western Australia. It will cover expenses such as tuition fee, fortnightly stipend and health insurance.
Every year, the University of Western Australia awards international research scholarships to students around the world. The aim of the scholarship is to attract top quality international postgraduate students to areas in which the University has specialized research strengths and to support Australia’s research effort.
Applicants must meet the following requirements before applying for this scholarship;
- Must be eligible to enrol or be enrolled as a full-time student in a higher degree by research (HDR) at the University upon commencement of their scholarship.
- Must not have commenced an HDR prior to the year for which the scholarship is sought unless the applicant was unable to apply for a scholarship in the last selection round due to the timing of their enrolment.
- Must not already be in receipt of another UWA Postgraduate Research International Tuition Fee Scholarship (SIRF or IPRS) or a UWA International Living Allowance Scholarship (UIS or UPAIS).
- Must be entitled to a maximum tenure of at least 12 months. IPRS awards are not available to students who, as a result of prior studies, would be entitled to scholarship tenure of less than 12 months.
- Must not have previously applied for the IPRS in more than one selection round. Applicants may only apply in a maximum of two selection rounds, after which they will be ineligible for reconsideration in any future IPRS rounds at UWA.
- Must have completed at least four years of tertiary education studies at a high level of achievement demonstrated by the award of a degree of First Class Honours standard or equivalent.
- Must be a citizen of an overseas country, excluding New Zealand.
- Must meet the University’s English language requirements for scholarship holders.
- Must not have completed a degree either at the same level as, or at a higher level than, the degree for which candidature is sought.
- Must enrol in an area of research concentration and be recommended by the head of the school in which the proposed study is to be undertaken.\
- Must not be an overseas student who is currently on an Australian Government sponsored scholarship such as Australian Awards Development Scholarship seeking to apply for an IPRS immediately following the Australian Awards Development Scholarship funded study. Such candidates must meet the terms and conditions of these awards prior to applying for future funding. This applies to students under the Australian Sponsored Training Scholarships (ASTAS), the Equity and Merit Scholarship Scheme (EMSS) and the Australian Development Scholarships (ADS).
Fields of study
Masters by Research or PhD degree programs at the University of Western Australia
What the scholarship covers
The scholarship will cover expenses such as tuition fee, fortnightly stipend and health insurance. The total combined value for 2015 is $29,000 per annum.
How to apply
Application for a scholarship is also an application for admission to the University. Applicants will need to apply through the online iATHENA scholarship system. Click here to contact the scholarship provider for more information on how to apply.
Deadline for applications for entry in July 2015 was 31 March 2015. The next deadline for entry in January 2016 is 31 August 2015.