Symantec is now accepting applications for the 2018 Fellowship Program. The SRL Graduate Fellowship is worth up to $20,000 USD. Symantec will award Symantec Research Labs (SRL) Graduate Fellowships to outstanding Ph.D students who meet the eligibility criteria listed below. A key goal of the program is to fund innovative research that has real-world value, in areas where Symantec conducts business. We are soliciting applications for the following areas:
- Next Generation Security: Security, cryptography and cyber-risk assessment and modeling, in the areas of networks, information security, big data analytics, data center, privacy, cloud, etc.
- Network and Cloud Security: Advance the state of the art in digital certificates, high throughput network security, securing public/private Cloud infrastructure, applications, and services, etc.
- Machine learning and data mining: Extend and apply predictive-analytics and anomaly-detection algorithms at scale, in support of the security and systems areas mentioned above.
Award recipients are strongly encouraged to take a separate salaried internship with Symantec that we plan to offer to all fellowship recipients. Interns will usually work directly with Symantec Research Labs at one of our locations (Culver City, CA, USA; Mountain View, CA, USA; Dublin, Ireland; Sophia-Antipolis, France) or with another group within Symantec. Each recipient is paired with a mentor from Symantec. A mentor is a top researcher or engineer who can provide ongoing technical guidance on the recipient’s research during graduate training as well as during an internship at Symantec.
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): USA
- Applying students must be enrolled in a Ph.D. program.
- Preference will be given to students with a desire to work in an industrial research lab and those working on innovative research projects in areas related to Symantec’s businesses such as host-based and network security, cloud computing, virtualization, machine learning, data mining, etc.
- Recipients will also be selected based on their overall potential for research excellence and their academic progress to date as evidenced by publications.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Fellowship: The SRL Graduate Fellowship provides up to $20,000 USD that may be used to cover one year of the student’s tuition fees and to reimburse expenses incurred by the student to engage into research collaboration with Symantec, such as conference registration fees, travel expenses, hardware, etc. If the fellowship is to cover tuition, this portion of the award will be made through the university.
How to Apply: Application materials must include the following:
- Resume or C.V.
- Personal statement of research interests not exceeding 500 words. Applicants are strongly encouraged to articulate the value and novelty of their research.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors or industry researchers who can evaluate the applicant’s scientific aptitude and potential for research. Letters of recommendation may be sent separately and confidentially.
Application Dates and Process for the 2018 Fellowship
- Fellowship applications, including Resumes or C.V.’s, personal statements of research, and letters of recommendation, must be received no later than 5:00pm on December 1st, 2017 (Pacific Time Zone).
- As part of the application process, some candidates may be contacted for telephone interviews.
- Final award decisions will be announced in January 2018.
- Applications and letters of recommendation may be sent to us in the following ways:
Email to: [email protected]
Attn. Kevin Roundy
900 Corporate Pointe
Culver City, CA 90230
Award Provider: Symantec
Application Deadline: 1st December, 2017 (Pacific Time Zone).