The Netherlands prides itself on being one of the most developed and socially sophisticated European Union countries, with opportunities for all, however international students will soon experience the historical European culture residing in this heart of Europe
The country has study programmes and courses that covers a broad range of subjects.The distinctive feature of the education system is the intensive ciricula and the advance level of practise oriented study that fits the needs of students specially those pursing specialised fields of study.
The Dutch higher education institutions together offer 1,000 international study programs and courses which are taught entirely in English. Higher education in Holland enjoys a worldwide reputation for its high quality. This is achieved through a national system of regulation and quality assurance.The nation has also received international acclaim for its problem-based learning system, which trains students to analyze and solve practical problems independently. Education in the Netherlands is not free, but tuition fees are reasonable.
What is the cost of study and living in the Netherlands?
Tuition fees for EU/EEA students
- Full-time students: EUR 1835.
- Part-time students: approximately EUR 1517.
Although there are also application fees, EU/EEA students are usually exempted from this payment.
Tuition fees for students from outside Europe
Tuition fees are usually higher for students from outside Europe. It usually ranges from EUR 4000 to EUR 15000. Additionally, you have to consider application fees, which may vary from approximately EUR 50 to over EUR 100 depending on the study program/course you applied for. Please, check with your university the exact amount.
The living expenses for an international student studying in Netherland is approximately € 700- 800 per month. This is inclusive of accommodation, food, utility bills and travel.
What’s the admission procedure and eligibility for study in the Netherlands?
- The candidate should select an institution and then contact the Admission cell of that institution for knowing which documents are required and what is the admission procedure.
- The main requirement for admission to a bachelor’s program is a secondary-school diploma at the appropriate level. Foreign students must have a diploma judged equivalent to the minimum diploma required. For each stream a student has to get the criteria according to the institution selected.
- For admission to a master’s degree program, applicants must have at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. In certain popular fields, the number of places is limited and quotas are set.
Additional common requirements are as follows
Proof of English proficiency is required. For this the IELTS and TOEFL scores are commonly accepted . The required scores are at least 550 (paper based) or 213 (computer based) for TOEFL. For IELTS a score of at least 6 is required.
What are some top universities in the Netherlands
- Delft University of Technology
- Einhoven University of Technology
- Leiden University
- Saxion University
- University of Groningen
- University of Amsterdam
- Utrecht University
- Open University of The Netherlands