In partnership with The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), Italy, India’s Department of Biotechnology (DBT) offers a fellowship programme for scholars from developing countries to pursue research towards a PhD in biotechnology.
The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) was established in the year 1983 in Trieste, Italy. The purpose for forming this body by some group of scientists from the South was to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in the South.
The TWAS-DBT postgraduate fellowships are tenable at key biotechnology research institutions in India for a period of up to five years.
DBT will provide a monthly stipend to cover living costs, food, and health insurance
Course(s) Offered: Biotechnology
Course Level: Graduate (PhD, research, fellowship)
Provider: TWAS Italy; DBT India
Country to Study in: India, Other countries
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s or equivalent degree in science or engineering.
- For SANDWICH Fellowships: Be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university (sample is included in the application form).
- For FULL-TIME Fellowships: Be willing to register at a university in India.
- Be accepted at a biotechnology institution in India (see sample Acceptance Letter included in the application form). NB. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen host institution(s), and NOT to DBT.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Nationals of ANY developing country (other than India)
Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country, or may enrol in a PhD course at a host laboratory/institute in India.
Fields of study
Eligible fields include:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
Number of awards
Tenable at key biotechnology research institutions in India for a period of up to five (5) years
DBT will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, the fellowship holder will receive a house rent allowance.
Method of Application
STARTING IN 2017 APPLICATIONS CAN ONLY BE SUBMITTED VIA THE ONLINE PORTAL- PLEASE USE THE “APPLY NOW” BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OFFICIAL WEBPAGE TO START YOUR APPLICATION.
Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from an Indian biotechnology institution to TWAS when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection. For SANDWICH Fellowships (only if already registered for a PhD in the HOME country) applicants should ensure that the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar of the university sends a signed copy of the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” on institutional headed paper to TWAS (see sample included in the application form).
Applications for the TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted to TWAS via the online portal and copy of the submitted application must be sent to DBT by email. It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete details.
Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one fellowship per year from among those offered by TWAS.
Application Deadline: 25 July 2017
Open to International Applicants: Yes (ONLY developing country students)