Rotary Yoneyama Memorial Foundation is funding for 45 international students to undertake studies at Japanese university or graduate school in Japan. International applicant must have Japanese language proficiency. Applicants must be up to 39 years of age and have scholastic and health requirements. The program starts from April 2014 and October 2014. Electronic application must be submitted by 16 October 2013.
Study Subject(s): This scholarship is provided to learn any of the course offered by the Japanese University or Graduate School in Japan.
Course Level: This scholarship is for pursuing undergraduates, master’s, PhD and research degree at Japanese University or Graduate School.
Scholarship Provider: Rotary Yoneyama Memorial Foundation
Scholarship can be taken at: Japan
Eligibility: Overseas students meeting all of the following requirements are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
(1) Citizenship & Place of Residence Not be a citizen of Japan nor be residing in Japan.
(2) Permission for Pre-arrival Admission in Japanese University or Graduate School Have either obtained or be in the process of applying for pre-arrival admission approval from the university or graduate school (under MEXT jurisdiction) to which you wish to enter as a degree student or research student, and be scheduled for April 2014 or October (September) 2014 enrollment in one of the below-listed statuses. If the applicants come to Japan to have the entrance examination (e.g., to take a written exam or interview), they must return to their residing country to apply for the scholarship.
(3) Scholastic and Health Requirements Have an enthusiasm for study and clear-cut future goals, an awareness of and respect for cultural differences, and ability to express oneself fluently and to communicate smoothly, and both the mental and physical health needed to sustain one’s life as an overseas exchange student.
(4) Major Field of Study All fields are eligible.
(5) Japanese Language Ability As the page 6-7 shows, there are several conditions requiring Japanese language ability depend on the area where applicants’ targeted the university / graduate school is located. In either case, after arriving Japan, scholars are expected to make an effort to communicate in Japanese so as to better create and strengthen friendship ties with Japanese people.
(6) Age Up to age 39.
(7) Academic Degree
– Persons who already hold a bachelor’s degree are not eligible for an undergraduate scholarship.
– Persons who already hold a master’s degree are not eligible for a master’s scholarship.
– Persons who already hold a doctoral degree are not eligible for a doctoral scholarship.
(8) Dual Scholarships Student who will hold a scholarship from another organization when this scholarship goes into effect is not eligible to receive this one.
(9) Past Yoneyama Scholars Persons who have held a Yoneyama scholarship in the past are not eligible for this scholarship.
Scholarship Open for Students of Following Countries: International students are eligible for this International scholarship.
Scholarship Description: Targeted students are those who intend to enroll in universities or graduate school under the jurisdiction of Japan’s Ministry of Education and Science (MEXT) in either April or October (September) 2014, who while residing abroad take the entrance exam and apply for pre-arrival admission approval from their targeted university. When applying for the Yoneyama scholarship as well, they must be residing abroad and remain. Yoneyama scholars are to arrive in Japan prior to the month of their admission. Irrespective of the reason, if they do not arrive in Japan by the month that their scholarship will begin to be paid, they will lose their eligibility.
Number of award(s): Forty-five (45) Scholarships are offered.
Duration of award(s): For April 2014 enrollment. Undergraduates: Two years from April 2014 through March 2016
– Graduate students: Two years from April 2014 through March 2016
– Research students: One year from April 2014 through March 2015, with a possible extension of another year for those who wish to go on to earn a degree.
2) For October (September) 2014 enrollment
– Undergraduates: Two years from October (September) 2014 through September (August) 2016
– Graduate students: Two years from October (September) 2014 through September (August) 2016
– Research students: One year from October (September) 2014 through September (August) 2015 with a possible extension of another year for those who wish to go on to earn a degree.
What does it cover?
(1) Undergraduates 100,000 yen per month
(2))Master’s students 140,000 yen per month
(3)Doctoral students 140,000 yen per month
(4)Research students (undergraduate, master’s and doctoral research students) 100,000 yen per month. Only for the first year of the scholarship, a supplemental of 400,000 yen is provided upon arrival in Japan.
Selection Criteria: The application guideline is judged based on the one written in Japanese. Selections are basically made by document review.
Notification: Notification of selection results is made by email at the following times: a) For April enrollment: Beginning of February 2014 b) For fall enrollment: Beginning of July 2014.
How to Apply: The mode of applying is electronically.
(1) The application form for a Yoneyama Scholarship may be
downloaded from the following webpage:
(2) The application and documents should be prepared in PDF format. After filling out the form, please save the file with your own name and the documents name. Please email them as attached documents to the Foundation at the following address
Scholarship Application Deadline: The deadline for applications is 16 October 2013 1:00P.M. Japan time for both April and October 2014 Enrollment. Application documents must arrive by the date.
Click here for more information on how to apply