Located in the serene community of Bartley Green, Birmingham, Newman University started as a College of Higher Education in 1968. It became widely known as Newman University College from the year 2008 to 2013 until it was accorded a University status.
Newman University offers a broad category of programs. From the Humanities to the Liberal arts; from Teacher training to Sports, the university has remained committed to producing world class graduates.
As a responsible organization, Newman University does not discriminate at all. It is very tolerant, even in its employment consideration. Little wonder then that, in the year 2005, almost half of the students at NU came from low-participation groups. Furthermore, admission is offered to every qualified applicant irrespective of religious or ethnic affiliations.
With its commitment to raising the flagship of Higher education, Newman University was commended for having the third working class intake and the second highest state school intake of all the universities located in the United Kingdom. A survey, by Sunday Times in 2016 also confirmed that at least one out of three students in the University was a mature student.
With a consistent high graduate employment rate of over ninety-four percent, Newman University has constantly maintained a high academic standard. This has earned it a good status among other universities.
- Based on the ranking by Complete University Guide, Newman University was ranked 4th among the Universities in Birmingham.
- Newman University, according to a 2014 declaration by the Independent Complete University Guide, was also proclaimed the safest for students in Birmingham.
- Among all the higher institutions located in the United Kingdom, Newman University clinched one of the best 25 for ‘Overall Satisfaction’.
- In the year 2017, Times Higher Education did nominate Newman University’s Student Support for an Outstanding Student Services Team Award.
- Still, in June 2017, our university received a Silver award in recognition of the standard it maintains in teaching.
Newman University offers a range of undergraduate and graduate programs, some of which are taught as well as by research.
Newman University’s Undergraduate Programs Requirements
- Entry requirements for Newman University’s BA and BSc (Hons) degrees are based on UCAS tariff. You will need to check out the UCAS point calculator to confirm the points you have or will need.
- Should you have below the required points, Newman University offers a foundation Year in Social Science program which will lead you into your study at Newman.
Newman University’s Postgraduate Programs Requirements
- Applicants for postgraduate programs at Newman University would be expected to have graduated with an Honours degree. Although, some departments would demand a 2:2 or above / 2:1 or above.
- Prospective students are also expected to show their capabilities for conducting studies at a higher level
- It is compulsory that you have at least two written references. One should be professional and the other academic.
- Additional entry requirements vary for each course and can be found on the respective course pages.
Newman University’s Research Degree requirements
- Students studying for a research degree will normally have a first class or 2.1 Honours degree in a subject relevant to the research proposal.
- Two written references are also required, one academic and one professional.
Newman University’s PGCE Programs Requirements
- An applicant is expected to attend an interview
- An applicant is expected to have relevant work experience in a British State school prior to the interview.
- A prospective student is required to submit a personal statement. This will help the admission team decide whether to invite you for an interview or not.
- An applicant will sit numeracy and literacy tests
- Disclosure and Barring (DBS) clearance, meeting the requirements for Fitness to Teach is also required.
Newman University’s PGCE Primary Requirements
- GCSEs (or equivalent) English language, Mathematics, and Science at grade C or above
- A good Honours degree or a recognized equivalent, preferably BA or BSc Upper Second Class (2.1) or above in one of the core subjects or Early Years
- Recent and relevant work experience in a primary setting.
Newman University’s PGCE Secondary Requirements
- GCSEs (or equivalent) English language, Mathematics (and Science for Secondary Science) at grade C or above.
- A good Honours degree or a recognized equivalent, preferably BA or BSc Lower Second Class (2.2) or above, of which a minimum 50% of content is subject related.
- Recent and relevant work experience in a secondary setting.
- Annual fees for students in 2017/18 *
- Full-time Single and Joint Honours – £9,250
- Part-time Single and Joint Honours (4.5-year course) – £4,950
- Undergraduate Initial Teacher Education – £9,250
Fees for Foundation degrees and Top-up awards in 2017/18 *
- Full-time Foundation Degrees – £9,250
- Part-time Foundation Degrees – £4,500
- Top-up awards from Foundation Degree or HND to Honours degree:
• £9,250 (total fee for full-time or part-time students)
• £6,750 (fee applies to students progressing from a Foundation degree studied at Newman to study at Top Up Level on a part time basis for 2017/18)
Newman’s postgraduate fees for postgraduate courses vary. You will be required to please refer to course contacts on each page for the latest information.
Tuition fees for 2017/18
- A 4.5 year part-time BA/BSc undergraduate degree costs £4,950 per year.This equates to a £4,725 saving over the duration of the course compared with the full-time equivalent.
- A part-time foundation degree costs £4,500 per year.
Living In Birmingham
With a friendly climate, Birmingham, which is Britain’s second largest city, stands out amongst the most attractive places to study in. Birmingham has a lot of side attractions that will suit your way of life, regardless of what your interests are.
In Birmingham, there are over 200 decent eateries where you can give yourself a treat and enjoy special delicacies. If you also love a sport, you will be treated to good football by Aston Villa, West Bromwich Albion, Wolverhampton etc. Tennis, golf and a host of other games available in the city.
What more could you need to have a beautiful and interesting time during your study that Newman University does not have? So, contact us today via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Telephone number +44(0)1214761181.