Telecommunication giant and a leading mobile company MTN, operating in many African, European and Asian countries with its head office in Johannesburg, is all out to give scholarships to eligible and bright students in its MTN Solution Space scholarships.
MTN operates in over 20 countries, One-third of its revenues come from Nigeria, where it holds about 35% market share.
The mobile company who have in some many ways impact lives of young persons in her varying business summits and programms, are once again throwing an opportunity for African students who are interested in applying either for Masters in Business Administration or Masters of Philosophy in Inclusive Innovation at the University of Cape Town Graduate School of Business.
This is an opportunity between business and education – where learning meets action and practical solutions meet real world challenges. The goal of the scholarships offered at the Solution Space is to nurture a new generation of leaders, teaching them to see past “business as usual”. Through testing new models, these bold and visionary leaders will be equipped to shape Africa’s future for the better. The scholarships are aimed at supporting mid-career professionals and entrepreneurs who have shown a commitment to local development. These scholarships were created for African leaders for whom a post-graduate qualification is an integral part of their continued journey toward building a better world.
Our scholars are known for their professional integrity, bold and visionary leadership, a spirit of innovation and inquisitiveness, active collaboration, entrepreneurial drive and track record of action. While scholars are distinct in their professional goals and ambitions and hail from all over Africa, they are united in their common goal: to have a significant impact in the world.
Type: MBA or MPhil
Eligibility: To be considered for a MTN Scholarship:
- Applicants must be a citizen from an African country and a Permanent Resident for at least 1 year.
- Applicants should apply to pursue either the MBA or the MPhil in Inclusive Innovation programme at the UCT GSB. Applicants will only be able to take up the MTN Scholarship if successfully admitted to the UCT GSB programme. For full details about the MBA programme or MPhil programme, criteria and how to apply to the business school click here
- Financial Need Criteria
Financial Need must be illustrated as follows:
- Full declaration of all details required must be recorded in the space provided on the Affidavit for the MTN Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Details of all property and assets of any nature must be declared on the Affidavit provided.
- UCT reserves the right to request that applicants furnish evidence of answers/statements on the application form. If it is found that the provided information is false or untrue, the University further reserves the right to disqualify an application and/or to cancel and recover any scholarship funds that may have been paid out to an awardee.
Selection Criteria: MTN Scholars are known for their professional integrity, bold and visionary leadership, a spirit of innovation and inquisitiveness, active collaboration, entrepreneurial drive and track record of action. The following criteria apply in the selection of MTN Scholars.
- Applicant has started or worked in an entrepreneurial venture, or demonstrated entrepreneurial and innovative strategies within an organisation for at least one year. Applicants should be able to demonstrate experience or strong interest in their chosen focus area (education, health, smart cities). A track record of exploring or initiating innovative approaches in these sectors is preferable.
- Applicants must demonstrate professional integrity, bold and visionary leadership, a spirit of innovation and inquisitiveness, active collaboration, entrepreneurial drive and a track record of action.
- Applicants must demonstrate some need for the scholarship, through either previous work experience, personal background or demonstrated commitment to start a venture, which make self-funding the programme a significant burden.
The University of Cape Town reserves the right to disqualify ineligible, incomplete and/or inappropriate applications.
The University of Cape Town reserves the right to change the conditions of award or to make no awards at all.
Application Deadline: 31st October 2017
Eligible Countries: Any African country
To be taken at (country): University of Cape Town’s, Graduate School of Business, South Africa