HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT UNIVERSITY FOR MASTERS IN CANADA?
Owing to the internationalization of higher studies, students these days are hankering after the best-ranked universities all around the globe, in order to secure a safe future for themselves. One of the most recommended destinations for students to pursue their masters in is Canada, with 120,000 international students getting themselves enrolled in Canadian universities, every year. It’s known to have the most students going from India, as well as other countries to pursue higher education. One cannot help but wonder why the education there is deemed more prosperous than any other country.
Let’s look at why Canada is known to be the hub of students who wish to pursue their masters abroad:
- It’s home to many of the top-ranked universities like the University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, University of Montreal, Mcgill University and the University of Alberta.
- Being a cosmopolitan country, Canada offers a multicultural environment which distinguishes the country from other places.
- Known to be the country with an extremely low crime rate, international students prefer Canada more, for safety reasons.
- Since most students struggle with expenses, Canadian universities make it simpler to waive off student loans, by providing a student permit, which makes it possible for the students to work part-time, or off-campus, as opposed to other countries where students need additional work permits.
- It’s well known for research and development opportunities that it offers to international students looking to make a career in this field.
- Canadian universities are also cheaper than American universities, with the cost of education less, and simpler process involved in getting a student visa.
Owing to the above-stated reasons, a wide range of students emanating from every part of the world come to Canada to pursue their masters/higher studies. But, choosing the right university for the same can be a task, since Canada as a country is rich in its demographic and geographical proportions.
If you want to know more about MS in Canada, here is a great article by Inspirus Education Mumbai, leading test-prep institute and study abroad consultancy.
There are some steps that you can follow to achieve at your decision of choosing the right university for Masters in Canada. Let us take a look at them.
1) IDENTIFYING EMINENT CITIES
Before deciding on anything else, one needs to look up the best places to study in Canada. For a foreign student, it’s almost impossible to really know all the prominent educational hubs that exist in the country, unless someone hires an educational consultant. Some of the most renowned cities offering academic excellence are:
- Quebec City
2) NARROWING DOWN ON TOP RANKED UNIVERSITIES
Now that we’re aware of the best student cities present in Canada, the next step is to search the top-ranked universities that fall under all the above-mentioned cities. Here are some of the best colleges in Canada:
- Royal Roads University
- Bishop’s University
- Brock University
- University of Regina
- University of Waterloo
- Queen’s University
Some sites that may prove to be helpful:
3) COURSES OFFERED
Does the best college matter if it does not provide quality education in the field that you are looking to pursue further? An imperative step before moving forward with a university is to check the academic programmes, courses offered, etc. One way of knowing everything from the quality of education to the structure of the curriculum can be to get in touch with the alumni of the university through LinkedIn or to stay updated with the social media handles of these universities. One needs to match if their expectations lie in tandem with what the university is offering.
4) ADDITIONAL ACADEMIC SCHEMES
Knowing about any secondary educational ventures that the institution takes up, in order to provide a practical understanding to students is important.
5) ADMISSION SEASONS AND PROCESS
After you have finalised your dream university, the work comes down to inquire into what the admission seasons are and the process involved in getting yourself enrolled. Most Canadian universities demand international students to take up exams like GRE, TOEFL/IELTS, etc. Making up the entire timeline becomes important because these exams are not that easy to crack.
6) FEE STRUCTURE
Even though the cost of education of educational institutions in Canada is way lesser as compared to the UK/US, having clarity on the tuition fees and other expenses will help in getting a real idea of living in a foreign country. Canadian universities also offer Commonwealth scholarships to students with exceedingly well intellect and who come from commonwealth countries. A lot of universities help bright students with their finances by offering them various scholarship programmes. This step becomes extremely detrimental if finances are something that is holding you back from achieving your dream of pursuing your masters in Canada.
If you’re someone struggling with choosing the right university for masters in Canada, these are some of the points that you should definitely keep in mind while deciding. Having to choose a country like Canada to pursue your master is definitely a choice that will benefit you in innumerable ways, but choosing the right university becomes imperative to make the most out of the world-class education provided in Canada.