The Chinese Ministry of Education together with State Oceanic Administration and the Chinese Government are giving out Marine scholarships to international students to pursues a Masters and doctoral degrees at Zhejiang University, Tongji University, Ocean University of China and Xiamen University in the fields of oceanography and other related discipline. The deadline for scholarship application is 30th April, 2014. Applicants should apply to the universities designated by this Scholarship program from 1st January to 30th April every year.
The ocean, covering about 71% of the Earth’s surface, plays a primary role in addressing the climate change and supporting the global economy, trade and livelihood. The sustainable ocean development has direct impact on the development and prosperity of all coastal countries now and in the future. And it has become an inexorable trend worldwide that through international cooperation and exchange we should deepen our understanding of the ocean and promote sustainable ocean development to enhance regional and global economic prosperity. Under this consideration, the State Oceanic Administration (SOA) and the Ministry of Education of China jointly initiate the program of Marine Scholarship of China (hereinafter called the Scholarship) for the purpose of providing financial support to outstanding students from the coastal countries or regions around the South China Sea, the Pacific and the Indian Oceans and African developing countries to study in China for a master’s or doctoral degree in oceanography or other related specialties, cultivating advanced professionals of the related fields for developing countries, enhancing international marine cooperation and exchange, and promoting the harmonious ocean development in the region and around the world. China Scholarship Council (CSC) is in charge of the admissions and routine management of the Scholarship.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria before applying for this scholarship:
- The applicant should be a citizen of non-Chinese nationality in good health, from a coastal/island country of South China Sea, the Indian Ocean, the Pacific and its surround island countries, or an African developing country.
- The applicant must apply for the postgraduate program of ocean-related specialties.
- Any applicant who is currently engaged in oceanographic and relevant sectors will be given high priority.
- The applicant for master’s degree studies is required to have a bachelor’s degree and be usually under the age of 40.
- The applicant for doctoral degree studies is required to have a master’s degree and be usually under the age of 45.
What the scholarship covers
- Exemption from registration fees, tuition fees, laboratory fees, internship fees, and fees for basic learning materials and accommodation on campus
- Living allowance: RMB 1,700 per month for master’s students, and RMB 2,000 per month for doctoral students
- Settlement subsidy: RMB 1,500
- Out-patient medical services and the Comprehensive Medical Insurance for Chinese Government Scholarship Students
- International travel expenses: to be paid by the student
Fields of study
Scholarship is awarded to pursue courses offered by the Xiamen University, Zhejiang University, Ocean University of China and Tongji University at Master’s and doctoral degree level.
How to apply
Applicants should An applicant is supposed to log on to CSC’s online application system, fill in all the necessary information and then print the Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship which will be automatically generated after successful submission.
The online application system can be found at http://laihua.csc.edu.cn, and the institutional codes of the universities are : 10384, : 10335, Ocean University of China: 10423, and : 10247.
ii. Photocopy of last degree certificate. Certificates in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translation in Chinese or English.
iii. Academic transcripts. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translations in Chinese or English.
iv. The applicant’s study or research plan in China (in Chinese or English).
v. Two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English by Professors or associate Professors.
vi.(downloadable from CSC’s website) completed in Chinese or English. The applicant must strictly take all the examination as required by the Form. Leaving a blank or absence of signature of the doctor or seal of the hospital will make the form invalid. Click for more information on how to apply
Scholarship application deadline
Every year, from 1st January to 30th April, an applicant may apply to the universities designated by this Scholarship program.