The Republic of Philippines is an island country with a serene environment, located in the Southeast of Asia. The country has two official languages – Filipino and English. The Republic of Philippines has many low tuition universities.
The country’s weather condition is similar to a country of tropical climate like India. They experience Summer, Rainy and Winter Season.
In addition, Philippines Republic has places of interest for foreigners. Three (3) of such interesting locations include:
- Human Island, Palawan: a place embedded with the majestic view of turquoise waters.
- Camotes, Cebu: This location shows the true island nature of the Filipino country.
- Vigan: Portrays the cultural virtue of the country, showing the country’s ancient heritage.
PHILIPPINES EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM
The country has more than 2200 universities comprising 650 public schools of which 110 belong to states and 1600 are private. They all have programs which are recognized all over the world.
Since the Philippines was colonized by the United States of America, English is the core means of imparting knowledge in the higher institutions.
The country is known as one of the best with standard educational system; equally as the world’s largest English speaking country.
Philippines universities usually start their first semester in June and this last through the month of October. The second semester runs through November to April.
Public tuition fees are about 1,000USD while private universities place their tuition within the range of $1200-2500. Most Master’s programs are run within 1-2 years while other programs depend on the discipline.
Government allocates an average of P700, 000($13,771.19) to scholarships per annum, together with private organizations, they offer scholarships to students yearly. Some of such scholarships cover traveling expenses.
TOP RANKED PHILIPPINES UNIVERSITY
According to the latest 2018 World University Ranking, only the University of Philippines (UP) has been ranked within the 601-800 range. Nevertheless, three other universities were ranked with UP by 2017 Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Ranking as summarized below:
- University of Philippines
The University is ranked 293rdin Arts and Humanities, 401-450 in both Engineering and Technology and in Life sciences and overall of 367th. It is a public university of eight constituent universities with 15 campuses across the country.
UP was established on June 18, 1908. Presently, it runs 246 undergraduate degree programs and 362 graduate programs. Admission into the University of Philippines is highly competitive.
- Ateneo De Manila University (ADMU)
ADMU is the third oldest university in Philippines. Even though the university is a private research university, it is rated as one of the best in the world within range 501-550, also 284th in Arts and Humanities.
The institution was established in 1859 by a group known as ‘Society of Jesus’. It offers undergraduate, graduate and professional programs.
- De La Salle University (DLSU)
The school is ranked 401-450 in Arts and Humanities and world best within 701-750. DLSU offers 74 undergraduate and over 100 graduate degree programs. DLSU is the first to offer degree in mechatronics and robotics.The university runs a trimestral academic calendar which usually last for 14 weeks.
- University of Santo Tomas
This private owned university was established in April 1611 and is known as the oldest university in Philippines.The university falls within the 801-1000 range rank. It diligently upholds a motto ‘Veritas in Caritate’ which means ‘Truth in Charity’.
CRITERIA FOR APPLYING TO PHILIPPINES UNIVERSITY
- Student must have a good grade in English
- Must have at least a 50% aggregates in Biology, Chemistry, Physics or their equivalents.
- Student needs a recommendation
- Valid credentials (result and certificate) showing official and alternative names
- Valid visa for international students
- Medical fitness certificate
- An IELTS of 5.0 overall is required of which candidate must have at least 5.0 in reading and writing
- As an alternative, studenst can present a Cambridge certificate of proficiency Grade C and Cambridge Advanced Certificate of Grade B
STEPS TO APPLY TO ANY PHILIPPINES UNIVERSITY
- Choose a university where your desired course is taken and is affordable for you. List of Philippines universities can be checked on Philippines’ Commission on Higher Education (CHED) official website.
- Check for the chosen school’s official website and make contact as regards admission requirements and procedures as it varies with schools.
- For international students seeking quality education in Philippines, rec
BENEFITS OF STUDYING IN A PHILIPPINES UNIVERSITY
Studying in Philippines Universities comes with a lot of benefits for foreign and local students, whether you are studying as an undergraduate or graduate student. Such benefits include:
- Exposure to practical and intensive training.
- Students have the chance to improve their English as Philippines Universities follow American educational standard.
- There are benefits awaiting students after graduation, such as employment and ease of travelling around the world.
- Affordable fees for foreign and local students
- Conducive and secure environment, excellent climatic condition and living on an affordable cost.
- Opportunity to be lectured by sound lecturers as Philippines Universities have professors from different races and countries.
- Access to fully-funded scholarships for both international and home students
COST OF LIVING IN the REPUBLIC OF PHILIPPINES
Living as a student in Philippines is convenient and affordable; the summary of average monthly expenses is listed below:
|ITEMS||COST (IN PESOS)||USD EQUIVALENT|
|Basic Amenities (water, electricity, internet, gas)||2000||39.35|
|Transportation, Laundry and Personal Care||1000||19.67|
|Clothes, Book, Health, Entertainment||2500||49.19|
Obtaining a sound education is one of the values one can add to one’s life. With the high level of standard Philippines educational system, studying in such universities is an unregrettable decision and a brave step one can take to enjoy a better future.
Philippines is a great place to succeed academically as the quality of education provided by the country is incomparable to most in other countries.
Studying in Philippines is cheap as the cost of living there is less expensive. Monthly expenses for student fall at an average of $177.
It is also good to know there are no strange cultures in Philippines, they eat with fork and knife, dress appropriately just like the American culture.