Austria is situated in the heart of Europe. It boarders countries like Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Italy and Switzerland. Tuition fees in Austrian public universities are quite low and affordable. As an international student, you can pay as low as 1500 Euro per year for tuition fees. In today’s article, I’m going to provide a comprehensive list of low tuition universities in Austria, application times and deadlines, cost of living and how to apply for admission into the universities.
Cost of study and living in Austria
Public universities in Austria do no charge tuition fees for EU degree seeking students. But international students are charged tuition fees which usually range from 1300 Euro to 1500 Euro per year. In addition to this, there is also a mandatory fee of about 18 Euro which is paid to the student union every semester.
Cost of living in Austria is a little bit high compared to other European countries. A student should budget around 500 Euro to 800 Euro per month for expenses such as food, accommodation, book, travels, etc depending on the city and the student’s spending habit. Please note that this figure is an estimation and could be lower or higher depending on a student’s lifestyle.
If you want to study in Austria, you must first contact the University of your Choice, find out the programs they offer and the requirements. For undergraduate program, applicant should be in possession of a high school/secondary school certificate with good grades in relevant subjects. For postgraduate program, a minimum of a good bachelors degree certificate is usually required. In addition, applicants will need to proof their proficiency in the language of instruction of their program. Universities in Austria teach in English , German languages or a combination of the two.
Application times and deadlines
Please adhere to the following application times when applying to universities in Austria:
- September 1: submit your application before September 1 for studies in the winter semester.
- February 1: for studies in the summer semester.
How to apply for admission
First, an applicant will need to get his/her certificates legalized at the Austrian embassy in his/her country. Once this has been done, the next step is to submit an online application to the university and forward the legalized documents to them. The admission unit of the university will go through the application and will issue an offer letter, if the students meet the minimum entry requirement for the program.
Comprehensive list of low tuition universities in Austria
- Technikum Wien
- Technische Universität Graz
- Technische Universität Wien
- Universität für angewandte Kunst Wien
- Universität für Bodenkultur Wien
- Universität für künstlerische und industrielle Gestaltung Linz
- Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Graz
- Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien
- Universität Graz
- Universität Innsbruck
- Universität Klagenfurt
- Universität Linz
- Universität Mozarteum Salzburg
- Universität Salzburg
- Universität Vienna
- University of Applied Sciences
- University of Music and Dramtic Arts in Graz
- Veterinärmedizinische Universität Wien
- Vienna International Fine Art Academy
- Webster University, Vienna
- Wels College of Engineering (WCE)
- Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien