Everyone can write and that includes a winning scholarship essay. The words might be there, the passion to start punching the keyboard might even be consuming. But Sometimes, we need a map, we need a device that navigates us to the right direction. Am just smiling sheepishly over here, you know why? You are here because you need that map that leads to a winning essay. If that’s true, then ride with me..
Scholarship essay format should follow the below tips unless specified otherwise. Following the rules of the institution is an edge and shouldn’t be overlooked.
- Two or three pages in length
- Double space
- Times Roman font
- 12 point font
- One-inch top, bottom and side margin
Let’s move to the main business of today. Everyone have a different procedure to give when asked about how to write a captivating essay that leaves the judges drooling. But writing a winning essay depends wholely on you, the writer. Below steps should be able to get you going.
- Align with the theme – Try and understand the essay statement you’re required to respond to and do justice to that. It baffles me when i see a student or scholarship aspirant spilling off the wheel. Such can only happen when the student doesn’t understand the theme or forgot to stick with it while writing. Try and avoid this pitfall and your chances of winning will be greater.
- Share a bit of you – Whatever question you are been asked to respond to, you can’t do that flawlessly without sharing a bit of you. Now listen, i don’t mean, writing 1000 words about yourself. No! I mean, a bit. Take a critical look at the question, relate with life experiences and it will be a unique essay.
- Be specific – A lot of students usually make the mistake of reasoning deductively which doesn’t just transport them back to former level but a failure in future if not corrected. That’s my opinion though. But try and be specific and avoid generalizing statements. Go personal and add a little bit of yourself. Give the judges the privilege to see things through you and they will love your essay for it.
- Show passion in your writing – You have no doubt written a lot of essays. Many of them you have found boring and lame while few spiked you up a little. But this time around, you need passion and lots of it in your essay. The Judges are writers and readers like you. If your essay is missing a spice, they will always know and it’s a huge turn off for them. Try and wake up that passion before writing.
- Read other winning essays – Even if you don’t have a hardcopy, search online and download PDF filles that exposes you to the work of others that were simply labelled the best. Read at least five winning essays, try and understand the mood of the writer, their writing style and approach toward the question asked. Am not tying to cajole you into being like them or to write like them. All you need is to look beyond and see what impressed the judges.
- Be unique – You’ve got something to say which no one on planet earth can’t. It you don’t pen them down, nobody will. That’s the uniqueness you need if you must soar through. Avoid sounding like your favorite authur and be YOURSELF.
- Find an editor – Is good to be a brillant writer and to know all the rules of grammar. But in this case, you need an editor to proofread and edit your write up. Not just any editor but one who have grown a reputation in his field. It will really make a difference. Perhaps it’s too costly to hire an editor, you don’t need to worry. Friends and family can do the trick. Read it aloud and ask for their critism.
There’s no perfect essay doesn’t mean we shouldn’t strive to write one. The anxiety to get it all right is one of the big secrets of winners. So, be enthusiastic, passionate and excited. Take it as fun without acting like your life depends on it. Is not all about winning but being open to learn something new.