The 2014 Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarship is now open for application. Approximately 1000 scholarships will be given out to German and International students to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate programs at universities, universities of applied sciences, or universities of the arts. Applicants should have excellent academic records, to be socially and politically engaged, and to have an active interest in the basic values of the foundation. The deadline for scholarship application are 1st March 2014 and 1st September 2014.
The Heinrich Böll Foundation grants scholarships to approximately 1,000 undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students of all subjects and nationalities per year, who are pursuing their degree at universities, universities of applied sciences (‘Fachhochschulen’), or universities of the arts (‘Kunsthochschulen’). We expect our scholarship recipients to have excellent academic records, to be socially and politically engaged, and to have an active interest in the basic values of the foundation: ecology and sustainability, democracy and human rights, self determination and justice.
- You should provide proof that you have already graduated with an initial professional qualification. This programme mainly supports students aiming for a Masters degree.
- You must be enrolled at a state-recognized university or college (e.g. Fachhochschule) in Germany at the time the scholarship payments begin.
- You need a good knowledge of German, and require you provide proof of your proficiency. Please note that the selection workshop (interviews, group discussions) will normally be in German. Exceptions (interview in English) are, however, possible.
- Unfortunately, the current guidelines specify that the foundation cannot support foreign scholarship holders for stays abroad in third countries for more than four weeks.
- You should definitely apply for a scholarship before the start of your studies, in order to ensure long-term support and cooperation.
- The Heinrich Böll Foundation cannot award you a scholarship, if you are studying for a one-year Masters degree and were not previously supported by the foundation.
- Applications are possible before you begin your study programme or within the first three semesters.
- Applicants must provide proof that they have been accepted as a doctoral student by an institution of higher education in Germany or an EU country (for doctoral scholarship).
Fields of study/research
Scholarship is awarded to pursue undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs at universities, universities of applied sciences, or universities of the arts in Germany.
How to apply
The mode of application is online. Click here for more information on how to apply.
Scholarship application deadline
The deadlines for scholarship application are 1st March 2014 and 1st September 2014.