The 2016 Getty Foundation Scholars Program is now open for application. This grant is awarded to established scholars, or writers who have attained distinction in their fields. Recipients of this award will reside at the Getty research Institute or Getty villa, where they will pursue their own projects free from academic obligations, make use of Getty collections, join their colleagues in a weekly meeting devoted to an annual research theme, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
- Applications are welcome from researchers of all nationalities who are working in the arts, humanities, or social sciences.
- Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Scholar Grants.
- Recent recipients who have received a Getty Scholar award within the past three years may be removed from consideration.
What the grant covers
Recipients of the Getty scholars grant will receive a stipend of up to $65,000 per year will be awarded based on length of stay, need, and salary. The grant also includes an office at the Getty Research Institute or the Getty Villa, research assistance, an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex, airfare to and from Los Angeles, and makes healthcare options available. These terms apply as of July 2015 and are subject to future changes.
How to apply
The mode of application is online. Applicants will need to complete and submit the online Getty Scholar grant application form (which includes uploading a Project Proposal; Curriculum Vitae; and optional Writing Sample. Click here to contact the scholarship provider for more information on how to apply.
Applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- The overall quality of the application.
- How the proposed project bears upon the annual research theme.
- The applicant’s past achievements.
- How the project would benefit from the resources at the Getty, including its library and collections.
The deadline for scholarship application is October 1st 2015