The 2015/2016 Gates Cambridge Scholarship is now open for application. This scholarship is for outstanding applicant from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. The scholarship covers expenses such as Fee and College fees at the appropriate rate, maintenance allowance for a single student, one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course and inbound visa costs. The deadline for scholarship application is 15th October and 2nd December 2014 for first and second round applications respectively.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are prestigious, highly competitive full-cost scholarships. They are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. The programme aims to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
Applicants for this award should be:
- A citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- Applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge: PhD (three year research-only degree); MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree); or a one year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
- OR already a student at Cambridge and want to apply for a new postgraduate course. For example, if you are studying for an MPhil you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to do a PhD. However, if you have already started a course, you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to fund the rest of it.
- OR already a Gates Cambridge Scholar and want to apply for a second Scholarship. You must apply by the second, international deadline and go through the same process of departmental ranking, shortlisting and interviewing as all other candidates.
Fields of study
The scholarship covers all masters and PhD courses offered at Cambridge University, UK except the following:
- BA (undergraduate)
- BA affiliated (a second BA)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
- Courses at universities other than Cambridge
What the scholarship covers
- The University Composition Fee and College fees at the appropriate rate
- A maintenance allowance for a single student (£13,900 for 12 months at the 2014-15 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months)
- One economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- Inbound visa costs
How to apply
Applicants apply for both a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and admission to their chosen postgraduate course at the University of Cambridge via the Graduate Admissions Office, using the GRADSAF form and supporting documents. Click here to contact the scholarship provider for more information on how to apply.
The deadline for scholarship application is 15th October and 2nd December 2014 for first and second round applications respectively.