Education in Germany is free for everybody both EU/non-EU and international. The only problem about studying in Germany is the medium of instruction as most of the universities teach in German language especially at the undergraduate level. But if you hope to study in Germany and do not have the German language certificate or understand the language, you could visit any German Embassy or consulate office in your home country and enroll for language classes.
In this post, I will be talking about free study in Germany, minimum entry requirements, how to obtain a study visa and lots more. So don’t go away!
Admission procedure for study in Germany
To study in Germany, a student should posses a higher education entrance qualification. This could be a secondary school-leaving certificate that corresponds to the German Abitur and entitle you to study.
Undergraduate study requirement
A school leaving certificate also known as university entrance qualification e.g High school diploma, matura, A-levels, Atestat or proof that you have passed the university entrance examination(if required in your home country)
Postgraduate study requirement
To study at the postgraduate level, a student should have a good bachelor’s degree which is recognized in Germany. Kindly contact the universities directly and find out the study requirements as different universities may have different entry requirements.
Visa requirements and how to apply
To study in Germany, you will need to obtain a visa from the German embassy in your home country. Note that EU nationals, citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland do not need visa to study in Germany.
What documents do you need to apply for a visa?
It’s best to inquire at the German embassy or Consulate in your country. You usually need to submit the following documents;
- Proof of financial resources: You must provide a proof of financial resources which verifies that you can support yourself financially for one year in Germany. Income or assets around 8000 euro are usually required per year( approx. 659 euro per month). Find out at the German embassy in your home country how you should provide this proof of financial resource. But on principle, several types of proof are possible and they include;
- Proof of parents income or assets
- Security on a blocked account
- Bank guaranty
- A sponsor’s letter from someone whose place of residence is in Germany.
- Visa application forms: This can be obtained at the German Embassy in your home country.
How to apply for admission
You can apply directly to the university or employ the services of.
List of top universities in Germany
- Aachen university of Technology
- Brandenberg Technical university of Cottbus
- Cologne Bussiness school
- Dortmund university
- Duisburg Technical university
- European management school, Leipzig
- European management school, Mainz
- Free university of Berlin
- Hamburg media school
- International university, Bremen
- Media university of Luebeck
- University of Augsburg
- University of Bamberg
- University of Bremen
- University of Essen
- University of Gottingen