The Finnish government is offering doctoral scholarships to young researchers who intend to study in Finland for 2017 academic year. Only applicant who are provisionally accepted either as a visiting Doctoral-level student/researcher, or as a full-time Doctoral degree student will be considered for this award. The scholarship covers a monthly allowance of 1500 Euro for a period of 3 to 9 months.
Applicants who hope to be considered for this scholarship must meet the following requirements:
- Must have established contact with the Finnish receiving institution before applying (see section ‘Doctoral Admissions‘).
- Have a letter of invitation from the academic supervisor in Finland; the invitation should also explain the commitment of the host institution to the project.
- Have earned a Master’s-level degree before applying.
- Intend to pursue post-Master’s level studies as a visiting student, participate in a research project or teach at a university or public research institute in Finland;priority will be given to doctoral studies.
- Not have spent already more than one year at a Finnish higher education institution immediately before the intended scholarship period in Finland.
- Be able to give proof of sufficient skills in speaking and writing the language needed in study/research.
- be a national of one of the eligible countries listed below.
Only applicants from the following countries will be considered for this award:
- Republic of Korea
- USA (please see the section Fulbright-CIMO grants on the Fulbright Online website)
Fields of study
The scholarship is strictly for doctoral studies in Finnish universities. It cannot be applied for Master’s level studies or post-Doctoral studies/research.
What the scholarship covers
This scholarship covers a monthly living allowance of 1500 Euro. Expenses due to travel, international or in Finland, are not covered by CIMO. Scholarship recipients are recommended to make arrangements for sufficient insurance coverage for their stay in Finland. Please see the section ‘Before your arrival‘ for information on the practicalities of coming to Finland as an international student/researcher.
How to apply
Applications for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool funding should be made to the appropriate authority in the applicant’s country. For information on the appropriate authority in your country, please see the listing of countries and authorities to contact.
- the announcements for the opening of the annual application round are sent out from CIMO at the end of September annually.
- applicants may then contact the scholarship authorities in their home country for information on the national deadline for submitting the application documents. Make sure you meet the national deadline in your home country, as that is the deadline by which you should submit your application to the national contact authorities.
- the annual deadline set by CIMO for the nomination of scholarship candidates by the national contact authorities is in mid-February (in 2017: 15th February).
Click here to contact the scholarship provider for more information on how to apply.
The deadline for scholarship application is 15 February 2017