Type: PhD, Short Courses
Field of Study: All academic fields
Value of Award: DFG will cover health insurance, travel expenses and provide subsistence costs for the stay in Germany.
Eligible Countries: Sub-Saharan African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Germany
- Applicants must hold a PhD and must have obtained it not earlier than 2013;
- Applicants must be nationals of a sub-Saharan African country, including South Africa, and hold a research position in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Applicants already on site in Germany are not eligible.
- Successful applicants can only reapply once for another cooperation visit.
- Women scientists are especially encouraged to apply.
- All academic fields will be considered.
How to Apply: Applicants must complete the online application form by clicking on the ‘Apply now’ button at the bottom of this page. While filling in the online application, applicants also need to upload the following documentation:
- scanned copy of your passport, even if expired (page with your name and surname);
- CV, maximum two pages including a list of 6 publications;
- a recent invitation letter from a German host – on the host institution’s letterhead paper – which should contain the proposed time of the visit (up to 3 months) and should refer to the proposed cooperation. It should be made evident that the applicant and the proposed host have been in contact regarding the scientific work to be done during the visit and that the conditions for conducting the work have been agreed on, in terms of the timing of the visit and the facilities available. Eligible institutions in Germany are all universities, universities of applied sciences, institutes or member organizations of the Max Planck Society, Fraunhofer Society, Helmholtz Association or Leibniz Association.
- two reference letters from senior scientists familiar with your work. The letters need to be on headed paper and signed;
- copy of the PhD certificate;
- evidence of proficiency in either English or German;
- supporting statement from the Head/Director of the applicant’s home institute: it must confirm that the Head/Director is favourable to the application and that the applicant will be granted leave to take up the cooperation visit in Germany if awarded.
Application Deadline: 31st March, 2018