African Leadership Academy is a high school situated in South Africa that identifies young leaders within the age range of 16 to 19 from across the continent with demonstrated leadership potential, a passion for Africa, entrepreneurial spirit, and a track record of community service. One of the aims of ALA is to transform Africa by developing a powerful network of over 6000 leaders who will work together to address the challenges facing Africa.
These selected young leaders are then brought together for a two – year pre-university at our world class boarding institution in Johannesburg, South Africa. ALA continues to cultivate these leaders throughout their lives in university and beyond by providing on-going leadership training, supporting their growth through access to internships and careers and connecting them to high impacts network of people and capital that will empower them to create transformative change.
Applicants who fall within the age range of 16 to 19 will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Strong, ethical leadership
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Passion for Africa
- Commitment to service
- Academic achievement
The admission cycle for ALA class of 2016 is as follows:
- September 4, 2015 – Applications open (online application opens shortly afterwards)
- October 31, 2015 – Early decisions applications close
- December 2015 – Early decision finalist activities
- December 15, 2015 – Regular decisions applications close
- January 8, 2016 – Notification of final early decision selections
- December 2015 to February 2016 – First round review of regular decision applications
- January 2016 to February 2016 – Finalists selected and invited for finalists activities
- January 2016 to March 2016 – Finalist activities (Interviews, group activities and entrance examinations) or phone interview
- April 15, 2016 – Notification of final regular decision selections
Tuition and finances
A student’s ability to pay tuition is not a factor in admissions decisions. The value of financial awards is determined after admissions decisions have been made. Fees charged to a given student will be based on a family’s financial means. Students from financially disadvantaged backgrounds who are accepted to the Academy will receive large financial aid awards, while families with financial means will be expected to make significant contributions towards their student’s fees.
Students can apply for admission online via the internet, email or by post. Those who wish to apply online can access the online registration portal through this link, https://app.hobsons.co.uk/AYApplicantLogin/fl_ApplicantLogin.asp?id=ala. If you want to send your application via email, kindly send it to [email protected].