The University of Pretoria, is a multi-campus public research university in Pretoria, the administrative and de facto capital of South Africa. The university was established in 1908 as the Pretoria campus of the Johannesburg-based Transvaal University College and is the fourth South African institution in continuous operation to be awarded university status.
The University is organised into nine faculties and a business school. Established in 1920, the University of Pretoria Faculty of Veterinary Science is the second oldest veterinary school in Africa and the only veterinary school in South Africa
University of pretoria otherwise called, UP is the leading research university in South Africa and one of the largest in the country.
The University has six campuses as well as a number of other sites of operation, such as the Pretoria Academic Hospital. Central administration is located at the Hatfield campus.
The University of Pretoria offers more than 1800 academic programmes in two of the official languages, namely Afrikaans and English. (Some programmes and modules are offered only in English.)
In 1996, the University of Pretoria became the university with the highest research output in South Africa and have maintained this status.
UP is at the forefront of tertiary education in the country and collaborates with world-class partners to ensure continued excellence in learning and teaching.
- Economic and Management Sciences
- Engineering, Built Environment and Information Technology
- Health Sciences
- Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Veterinary Science
Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS)
How to apply for admission- Online Application
- UP applications open on 1 March of the year preceding the year of study.
- Each prospective student must complete only one online application. On the online application the University of Pretoria offers a first and second choice in terms of what you wish to study. All applicants should fill in both a first and second choice on the online application.
- Once your online application has been processed, you will receive a student number(EMPLID).
- Receiving a student number (EMPLID) does NOT imply that you have been accepted by the University of Pretoria yet. Admission is a separate process that your application undergoes after being evaluated by the relevant faculty.
- It is in your best interest to complete your own online application. The University of Pretoria does not make use of representatives, agents or agencies during the application process. If you choose to make use of representatives, agents or agencies, you do so at your own risk. It is of utmost importance that you provide your personal email and postal addresses to enable the University of Pretoria to communicate with you directly.
- For the application for Distance Education admission (Faculty of Education) please visit the “Distance Education ” web page before you apply. Different rules are applicable.
- It is important to note that should you wish to study the selection programmes BSc(Arch)(Architecture) or BSc(Int)(Interior Architecture), you must indicate them as your first choice on your application, or you will not be considered for these programmes. It is also recommended to indicate the other selection programmes as your first choice on the online application.
The Online Application System is intended for use by new prospective students submitting an application to UP for the first time
Your annual tuition fees will depend on what you study. For example:
Bachelors of Arts or Social Science (BA or BSocSc) tuition fee cost about R35 000
Accounting (BCom Accounting) – R35 000 – R39 000
Information Technology (BIT, BTechIT, BScIT or equivalent)- R55 000 – R59 000
Bachelors of Law (LLB or BLaws)- R39 000 – R42 000
Medicine (MBChB or MBBCh)- R60 000
Students Living Expenses
Application fee- R300
The cost of living in University of Pretoria is estimated at $500 to $700 a month which will cover the cost of food, accommodation, transportation etc. Although, this is just an estimated cost, it all depends on the lifestyle of the individual.