The Institute of International Studies (IIS) at UC Berkeley offers a series of merit scholarships of up to $2000 each to support undergraduate research in any area on international studies. The University of California, Berkeley (also referred to as UC Berkeley, Berkeley, and Cal) is a public research university located in Berkeley, California.
The Institute of International Studies (IIS) Undergraduate Merit Scholarship supports undergraduate research in any area of international studies. Research may be conducted independently, in congruence with an Honours thesis, or while studying abroad. The scholarship recipients will be called IIS Junior Scholars. After completing their research projects, Junior Scholars are required to submit a four-page research summary and attend the IIS Junior Scholars Conference held in May 2017. Junior Scholars will present their work in poster format at the conference.
Eligible Country: All
Eligible Fields of Study: International Studies and other related fields
- Open to any UC Berkeley junior or senior with a minimum 3.5 GPA who has completed at least one semester of study in residence at Berkeley.
- All majors are eligible and are encouraged to apply.
Value of Scholarship: Merit scholarships will be up to $2000 each with the chance to win an additional $1000 for Best Research Summary.
How to Apply: Candidates must submit a one-page research proposal that addresses:
- The research question;
- Why it is important to the field of study;
- Qualification to conduct the research (i.e. related past or planned coursework, languages, etc.);
- A preliminary research plan (including the format for research, i.e. during EAP, as an independent study, etc.).
In addition, applications must include an unofficial transcript and one letter of recommendation, which can come from a GSI or a faculty member. Please ask your recommender to e-mail the recommendation letter directly to [email protected].
The application webform can be found here.
Important Notes: Concurrent enrollment students are not eligible to apply.
Application Deadline: Monday, 13th November, 2017.