The University of Edinburgh, Scotland is offering the MasterCard foundation scholarships to undergraduate and masters students who are citizens of Africa. The aim of this scholarship is to support brightest and best African students with great potential but limited educational opportunities. By virtue of the generous contribution of the Foundation, accepted scholars will be provided with the opportunity to become leaders within their communities and to improve the lives of countless more when they return home to Africa. This scholarship will be fully funded and will cover expenses like tuition fees, living cost, accommodation etc.
To qualify for the University of Edinburg MasterCard scholarship, the following conditions must be met:
- You must qualify academically for admission to the University of Edinburgh. We prefer that applicants apply to this scholarship BEFORE applying to the University. Please see section on applying below for more information.
- You must be a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country, whose personal circumstances would make accepting an offer from the University of Edinburgh difficult. Applications from Malawi, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe are particularly welcome.
- You must demonstrate a track record of leadership and service within your community.
- You are able to present economically disadvantaged circumstances and be able to show that you lack financial means from family or other sources to pursue post-secondary (university) education in your home country or elsewhere.
- The scholarship is not available to students already on programme.
Fields of study
The scholarship will be available for all undergraduate and masters programs at University of Edinburg, Scotland.
What the scholarship covers
The scholarship will cover the following expenses;
This scholarship scheme will provide full scholarships, including free accommodation, living costs, travel and tuition fees to accepted students taking courses on campus at Edinburgh. A total of 60 Scholars from other MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program institutions will equally benefit from participating in a number of online distance learning Masters programmes on offer by the University of Edinburgh. As well as receiving an excellent education at one of the top ranked universities in the world, undergraduate Scholars will:
- Enrolled in UK and Africa based Summer Schools;
- Participate in a course on African development;
- Be part of a volunteering project in their home country;
- Received a work-based placement in the UK;
- Receive support on their return to their home country; and
- Following their graduation, around 50% of our undergraduate Scholars will then be supported to complete distance learning Masters degrees after their return to Africa.
How to apply
Applicants are encouraged to apply to this scholarship BEFORE applying to the University (unless they are also applying to funding elsewhere). By completing a short online pre-application assessment, the MCF team will assess the student’s eligibility for the scholarship and if appropriate, provide a full application form. Scholarship applications open on 4th October 2016 and close at midnight (GMT) on 30th November 2016.
Step 1: Complete an online Pre-Application Assessment
In order to assess your eligibility for the scholarship, please complete the following Pre-Application Assessment Form. Please note that full applications are not accepted before 4th October 2016, but you can complete the Pre- Application Assessment Form before that time.
Step 2: Receive a response from the MCF team
Based on your eligibility for the program as assessed through the online Pre-Application Assessment Form, we will respond to you shortly. We will send you a full scholarship application if you’re eligible for the scholarship program with further information on the terms & conditions of the program.
Step3: Complete & submit your full scholarship Application form
Complete application and send to us from 4th of October 2016 to midnight (GMT) on 30thNovember 2016.
Please be advised full applications sent before the 4th of October 2016 will not be considered.
Costs associated with visas, English language testing, and the application process (including deposit for application) will be covered by The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme.
Click here to contact the scholarship provider for more information on how to apply
The deadline for scholarship application is 30th November 2016