The Finnish government is awarding scholarships to young researchers across the globes who intend to pursue a doctoral degree in a Finland in 2017. You must first apply for admission into a Finnish university for a study/research placement at a Finnish university/public research institute before you apply for this scholarship. What this means is that you have to be at least provisionally accepted either as a visiting Doctoral-level student/researcher, or as a full-time Doctoral degree student.
In order to apply for this scholarship, the following conditions must be met:
- Have established contact with the Finnish receiving institution before applying (see section ‘Doctoral Admissions‘).
- Have a letter of invitation from the academic supervisor in Finland; the invitation should also explain the commitment of the host institution to the project.
- Have earned a Master’s-level degree before applying.
- Intend to pursue post-Master’s level studies as a visiting student, participate in a research project or teach at a university or public research institute in Finland; priority will be given to doctoral studies.
- Not have spent already more than one year at a Finnish higher education institution immediately before the intended scholarship period in Finland.
- Be able to give proof of sufficient skills in speaking and writing the language needed in study/research*
- Be a national of one of the eligible countries listed below.
What the scholarship covers
The Finnish government scholarship covers a monthly allowance of EUR 1500. The allowance is sufficient for one person only. Please note that expenses due to travel, international or in Finland, are not covered by CIMO. Scholarship recipients are recommended to make arrangements for sufficient insurance coverage for their stay in Finland. Please see the section ‘Before your arrival‘ for information on the practicalities of coming to Finland as an international student/researcher.
- Republic of Korea
How to apply
Applications for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool funding should be made to the appropriate authority in the applicant’s country. The scholarship authorities in each country are invited to present applications for up to 10 candidates for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool. For information on the appropriate authority in your country, please see the listing of countries and authorities to contact. The announcements for the opening of the annual application round are usually sent out from CIMO at the end of September annually. The applicants may then contact the scholarship authorities in their home country for information on the national deadline for submitting the application documents.
Click here to contact the scholarship provider for more information on how to apply.
The annual deadline set by CIMO for the nomination of scholarship candidates by the national authorities is in mid-February (in 2017: 15th February). Please check the application deadline set by the authorities in your country since it may be earlier.
Important points to note
- The Finnish government scholarship for young researchers is for individuals who intend to pursue a doctorate degree program in a Finnish university.
- This scholarship only covers a monthly stipend of 1500 Euro per month
- Only applications from students who are citizens of the countries listed above will be considered.