The Vanier Canadian Government Scholarship is offered by the Canadian government to international students who wish to apply for PhD programs in Canada. Up to 167 scholarships are awarded and valued at $50,000 per year for the duration of 3 years.
You must meet the following requirements before applying for this scholarship:
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
- Applicant must nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota.
- Must be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding.
- Must intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding.
- Have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2017 (see calculating months of doctoral studies below);
- Have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average.
- Must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Fields of study
Only PhD programs offered in Canadian universities.
What the scholarship covers
Scholarship worth $50,000 per year will be awarded to each selected applicant.
How to apply
The mode of application is online. Click here to contact the scholarship provider for more information on how to apply.
The deadlines for scholarship applications are:
|July – November||Applicants seek a nominating institution, prepare and submit the application package.|
|Internal Deadline||to submit application to the nominating institution. Contact nominating institution for specific date.|
|November 2, 2016 (20:00 ET)||Deadline for institutions to submit nominations to the Vanier CGS program.|
|November 2016 – March 2017||Review and evaluation of nominations.|
|March 30, 2017||Results released.|
|May 1, 2017, September 1, 2017 or January 1, 2018