The British Government Chevening Scholarships for graduate students is now open for application. This prestigious award is given by the UK government to talented individuals who demonstrate the potential to become future leaders, decision makers and opinion formers. The award will enable students to pursue one-year postgraduate Master’s course in any discipline at any UK university.
Ensure you meet the following requirements before you apply for this scholarship:
- Be a citizen of a Chevening-eligible country.
- Return to your country of citizenship for a minimum of two years after your award has ended.
- Have an undergraduate degree that will enable you to gain entry to a postgraduate programme at a UK university. This is typically equivalent to an upper second-class 2:1 honours degree in the UK.
- Have at least two years’ work experience (this may be up to five years for fellowship programmes, please refer to your country page for further details).
- Apply to three different eligible UK university courses and have received an unconditional offer from one of these choices by 13 July 2017.
- Meet the Chevening English language requirement by 13 July 2017.
Only applicants who meet the above requirements will be considered for this award.
Fields of study
All masters degree programs in UK universities.
What the scholarship covers
Chevening offers about 1500 scholarships which are partially or fully funded. Full scholarships cover the following expenses:
- Payment of tuition fees.
- Travel to and from your country of residence by an approved route for you only.
- An arrival allowance.
- A grant for the cost of preparation of a thesis or dissertation (if required).
- An excess baggage allowance.
- The cost of an entry clearance (visa) application for you only.
- A monthly personal living allowance (stipend) to cover accommodation and living expenses. The monthly stipend will depend on whether you are studying inside or outside London. It is subject to annual review.
How to apply
Applications for Chevening Awards can only be submitted using the Chevening online application system, available through the ‘apply’ button on your country’s page. Detailed advice on applying for fellowships can be found through your country’s fellowship page.
Prior to starting your application for a Chevening Scholarship please ensure you have the following ready:
- Essential: Three different UK master’s course choices
- Optional: English language test results (if you’ve already met the requirements)
- Optional: UK master’s university offer (if you’ve already met the requirements)
You can submit your initial application without the required optional documents and upload them to your application at any point up to 13 July 2017. Please note that only documents in PDF format can be uploaded and documents cannot be over 5MB in size.
Click here to contact the scholarship provider for more information on how to apply.
The deadline for scholarship application is 8 November at 12:00 GMT (midday UK time).
Important points to note
- The Chevening scholarship is a British Government Scholarships. The scholarships are both fully and partially funded.
- Ensure you have your three UK master’s course choices before you start your application.