Ashinaga, a Japan based non profit organisation is offering undergraduate scholarships to students from 20 African countries to study pursue their study in world leading universities in UK, US, Japan etc. This scholarship will only be awarded to qualified African students who are orphans.
In order to apply for this scholarship, the following conditions must be met:
- Have lost one or both parents
- Have completed 12 years of education (primary and secondary school) within the last two years, or those who will complete 12 years of education by December 31, 2016.
- Have citizenship and completed/are completing high school in one of the following countries: Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Ghana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Sudan, Botswana, South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Mauritius, Somalia, Nigeria, The Gambia.
- Were born after 1stOctober 1994.
- Do not have the financial means to attend university.
- Are proficient in English.
- Have an outstanding academic performance at high school.
- Are able to participate in the two Ashinaga preparatory programs, over the course of one year, before attending university.
- Are willing to return home, or to Sub-Saharan Africa, and contribute to society in Sub-Saharan Africa after graduating from university.
- Have no dependents who could interfere with academic progress.
- Are in good health condition and capable of studying abroad.
What the scholarship covers
The scholarship is fully funded and covers expenses like cost of tuition, accommodation (during the terms and vacation), insurance, flight, and provides monthly stipend which covers food and necessary academic costs.
How to apply
The mode of application is online, email or by post. The following documents will be needed for application:
- This application form.
- One passport photo.
- Copy of term reports / high school transcripts (the last 2 years).
- Academic transcripts or diplomas from university/post-secondary institution, if applicable.
- Copy of General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE).
- Completion of essay 1 and essay 2.
- Essay 1: Please describe how you grew up and experienced losing your parent(s). What challenges have you faced after the loss and what and how did you do in order to overcome them? Please write in detail especially the action you took to continue further education. (Maximum 500 words)
- Essay 2: Please write a “personal statement” in English describing why and what you want to study at university abroad. Also, please mention whether you have any future plans of how you want to use the knowledge and experience that you gain after graduating from university. (Maximum 500 words)
- Copy of death certificate of deceased parent(s) or alternative official document.
- Copy of birth certificate.
- Recommendation letter from a principal or a class teacher.
- Copy of national ID card or passport.
- Awards or activity certificates, if any.
Applying via email
Download the form from the PDF icon below, fill it out and send it back attached to an email [email protected]
with the required documents attached.
Applying By post
Download the form from the PDF icon below, fill it out and send it by post to;
Ashinaga Africa Initiative Recruitment Team
P. O. Box 16864 – Kampala, Uganda
Click here to contact the scholarship provider for more information on how to apply.
The deadline for scholarship application is 28th February 2017