Some time ago I prepared an article on low tuition universities in Canada for international students and I got lots of comments and feedback from people. If you have not gone through this article, kindly click here to access it. Today, I want to provide a comprehensive list of universities in Canada with their current tuition fees and contact information. Some schools in Canada are very expensive, but the good news is that, there are cheap and affordable ones where tuition fees range from $5,000 to $10,000 per year. Please note that these figures we will be using in this article are all in Canadian dollars. As at the time of writing this post, 1 Canadian Dollar equals 0.79 United States Dollar. Before I provide a list of low tuition universities in Canada, as always I will like to talk about the cost of living, intake periods, visa requirements and other stuff. So let’s start with the cost of living in Canada.
Cost of living in Canada
The cost of living in Canada is slightly higher than other countries. Students will need approximately $800 to $1200 per month to cover expenses like accommodation, food, transportation etc. Cities like Vancouver and Calgary are very expensive and you may need to raise your budget to $1500 to be able to live in these cities. As I always say, cost of living is dependent on factors such as: the spending habit of the student and city he/she lives in. So don’t allow these big figures scare you. If you are the frugal type, you may live on less.
Let’s break it down…….
- Student residences: prices are between $250 – $625 per month
- University-provided home stays: usually rates start from $400 and can lead to $800 per month.
- Share an apartment: $250 – $700 per month, prices for rent depend on location and facilities.
Food is not expensive in Canada, expect to spend between $200 to $250 per month on shopping from the local supermarkets and groceries. Some of the cheapest supermarkets you can find all over Canada are Canadian Superstore, Walmart, No Frills.
If you wish to eat in a restaurant, you will have to pay around $10 – $25. A three-course meal for two in a mid-range restaurant will cost $60.
Students enrolled in a Canadian university aged between 18 and 25 will benefit from discounts when purchasing the monthly transport pass.
- The total price of a transport pass is $91 per month, while a one-way ticket is worth $3 per month
- Taxis are also a common way of transport all over Canada and fares are between $2 and $6 per/ km.
Admission intake periods
Almost all programs in Canadian institutions have 3 intakes in a year. These three intakes are winter, spring and fall. You will need to contact the school and find out the available intake periods for your program. You can do this by calling or sending a mail to the admissions department. Remember that you need to apply as early as possible, for instance, if your program intake period is by January (winter), ensure that you apply 6 to 8 months in advance so you will have enough time to process your visa.
Work while studying
International students are allowed to work while studying in Canada. You can work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and full time during scheduled breaks (for example, winter and summer holidays, and spring break). A work permit does not guarantee that you will find a job. It is your responsibility to look for work. Even if you work off campus, your studies must be the main reason you are in Canada.
To gain entry for studies, a visa is mandatory. The documents required to obtain a Visa are as follows:
- You must be given an acceptance letter from a recognized institution
- Next stop is to get a Canadian student visa application package online using CIC website, or you walk into a local visa office or consulate in your country. In other to get the visa application package, questions will be asked to determine if you are eligible for a student Visa.
- If found to be eligible, you will be sent a personal check list code with a page containing a code needed for submitting your application online which is only valid for 60 days. The printed out page also contains tuition fee amounts, a guide to applications, a list of documents to submit along with your application.
- Create a MyCIC account by providing your checklist code, where you will be given your personal document checklist which allows you upload all your documents to CIC.
- After uploading the necessary documents and paying your fees, submit your completed application to CIC.
- Some students from certain countries require biometric caption.
- When applying for a student visa, you would need a proof of funds to show that you can sustain yourself during your study.
List of low tuition universities in Canada with contact information
|Universities||Undergraduate tuition fees||Postgraduate tuition fees||Phone contacts||Email contacts|
|Brandon University||$5000 to $8000||$5000 to $8000||+12047289520||[email protected]|
|Memorial University of Newfoundland||$6000 to $8800||$6000 to $8800||+17098644893||[email protected]|
|Saint Paul University||$5000 to $6000||$5000 to $6000||+161323661393|
|Athabasca University||$9000 to 10000||$9000 to $10000|
|Concordia University Edmonton||$11000 to 12000||$11000 to 12000||+15148482424||[email protected]|
|University of Manitoba||$12000 to 14000||$8000 to 10000||+18004321960|
|University of Saskatchewan||$12000 to $14000||$4000 to $6000||+13069664343||[email protected]|
|University of Winnipeg||$12000 to $15000||$12000 to $15000||+12047867811||[email protected]|
|MacMaster University||$14000 to $16000||$14000 to $16000||+19055254600||[email protected]|
|University of Victoria||$14000 to $16000||$6000 to $8000||+12507217211||[email protected]|
|University of Ottawa||$14000 to $16000||$14000 to 16000||+16135625700||[email protected]|
|Dalhousie University||$14000 to $16000||$14000 to $16000||+19024942211||[email protected]|
|Mount Royal University||$11000 to $12000||$11000 to $12000|
|University of Western Ontario||$14000 to $16000||$12000 to $14000||+15196612111||[email protected]|
If you found this article useful, kindly share it by using the share buttons below so it gets to your friends who might be interested.