The Japanese Government postgraduate scholarship for international students is now open for application. This scholarship is for outstanding international students who wish to pursue master, PhD or research programs in Japan. It will cover expenses such as transportation to Japan, living expenses and tuition fees.
The Japanese Government through MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology) is offering postgraduate scholarships to international students to pursue graduate programs at Japanese universities (either non-degree or degree). Since the scholarship is fully funded, it will cover expense like tuition fees, transportation, living expenses etc
The aim of this scholarship is to promote mutual understanding and deepen friendly ties between Japan and other countries through the application of advanced knowledge regarding Japan’s language and culture
In order to apply for this scholarship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Nationality: All applicants should have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. Any applicant who has Japanese nationality as at the time of application is not eligible. However, persons with dual nationality who hold Japanese nationality and whose place of residence at the time of application is outside of Japan are eligible to apply as long as they choose the nationality of the foreign country and give up their Japanese nationality by the date of their arrival in Japan. Applicant screening will be conducted at the Japanese diplomatic mission (hereinafter referred to as “Japanese legation”) in the country of applicant’s nationality (This shall not necessarily be applied in cases where one embassy covers multiple nations.).
- Age: Applicant must not be less than 35 years of age.
- Academic Background: Applicant must be a college graduate (includes prospective graduates), or a graduate from a Japanese university or have academic ability equal or superior to that of a Japanese university graduate. A person will be deemed to have academic ability equal or superior to that of a university graduate, if he/she:
- has completed or will complete 16 years of school education in a foreign country (or 18 years of school education if he/she desires to enroll in a doctoral course in the field of medicine, dentistry or veterinary science, or pharmacy which is based on a 6-year course in a department or faculty); or
- is or will be aged 22 or older and has taken an individual entrance qualification examination and has been judged by a Japanese graduate school as being equal or superior in academic ability to a university graduate (or 24 or older if he/she desires to enroll in a doctoral course in the field of medicine, dentistry or veterinary science, or pharmacy which is based on a 6-year course in a department or faculty). Eligible applicants include those who otherwise satisfy or will satisfy qualification requirements for admission to a Japanese graduate school. As a general rule, a person who has completed a doctoral course may not apply unless he/she seeks to obtain a degree.
- Health: Applicants must be free from any mental or physical disabilities that would impede the pursuit of study at Japanese graduate school.
Field(s) of study
Applicant should apply for the field of study he/she majored in at university or its related field. Moreover, the fields of study must be subjects which applicants will be able to study and research in graduate courses at Japanese universities.
The fields of study may be restricted to particular fields by the Japanese Embassy/Consulate General (or “Japanese diplomatic mission”) in the applicant’s country.
A student who studies medicine, dentistry or welfare science will not be allowed to engage in clinical training such as medical care and operative surgery until he/she obtains a relevant license from the Minister of Health, Labor and Welfare under applicable Japanese laws. Those studying traditional entertainment arts such as Kabuki and classical Japanese dances, or subjects that require practical training in specific technologies or techniques at factories or companies are excluded from this restriction.
What the Scholarship covers
The Japanese government scholarship covers the following:
- Allowance: 143,000yen (Research Students(non-regular students), 144,000yen (regular students in Master’s courses or professional graduate courses), or 145,000yen(regular students in doctoral courses) per month. (In case that the recipient research in a designated region, 2,000 or 3,000 yen per month will be added. The monetary amount each year may be subject to change due to budgetary reasons.)
- Transportation to Japan
- Transportation from Japan: In principle, the recipient who returns to his/her home country within the fixed period after the expiration of his/her scholarship will be provided, upon application, with an economy-class airplane ticket for travel from the New Tokyo International airport or any other international airport that the appointed university usually uses to the international airport nearest to his/her home address.
- Tuition and Other Fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition at universities will be paid by the Japanese Government.
How to apply
To apply for this scholarship, you must download and submit necessary forms such as application forms from the official webpage. Ensure to read the “Guideline” and “Notes” for application before you start your application. Scholarship recipients will be recruited and screened by the Japanese embassy or consulate general depending on the country. Please contact the Japanes embassy in your country for details on how to apply for the scholarship.
Click here to contact the scholarship provider for more information on how to apply.
The application deadline varies per country. For example, deadline for Egyptians is 23rd of May 2016, while deadline for Nigerians is 30th of June 2016. For your country’s specific deadline, please contact the Japanese embassy or consulate general in your country.