The 2016/2017 Heinrich Böll Foundation scholarships for students from all nationalities is now open for application. This scholarship is offered by the Heinrich Böll Foundation to students who wish to pursue a bachelors, masters or doctorate degree program in German universities. About 1000 fully funded scholarships will be given out to qualified international students.
Before you start your scholarship application, ensure that you read through the following scholarship requirements:
- Qualified applicant has to be enrolled in a state state-recognized university or college (e.g. Fachhochschule) in Germany at the time the scholarship payments begin.
- Must provide proof that he/she has already graduated with an initial professional qualification. This scholarship program mainly supports students aiming for a Masters degree.
- A good knowledge of German is needed and a proof of language proficiency must be provided as at the time of application. Applicants should bear in mind that selection workshop (interviews, group discussions) will normally be in German. Exceptions (interview in English) are, however, possible.
- Unfortunately, the current guidelines specify that the foundation cannot support foreign scholarship holders for stays abroad in third countries for more than four weeks.
- Applicant must apply for scholarship before the start of his/her studies, in order to ensure long-term support and cooperation.
- Please note that Heinrich Böll Foundation cannot award you a scholarship, if you are studying for a one-year Masters degree and were not previously supported by the foundation.
- Applications are possible before you begin your study programme or within the first three semesters.
- Applicants must provide proof that they have been accepted as a doctoral student by an institution of higher education in Germany or an EU country (for doctoral scholarship).
How applicants will be selected
The selection will be based on excellent academic records. In addition to this, the foundation also expects scholarship recipients to be politically and socially engaged, to have an active interest in the basic values of the foundation which include; ecology and sustainability, democracy and human rights, self determination and justice.
Fields of study
All fields of study will be supported by this scholarship. Priority will be given to applicants with the following fields; Humanities and Social Science, Fine Arts and Cultural Studies, Economics, Law, Engineering, Media Science and Natural Science. Having in the past awarded scholarships mainly to students of the humanities, social sciences, art, and culture, the foundation is now, in addition, particularly interested in students of economics, law, engineering, science, mathematics, and journalism.
What the scholarship covers
The foundation awards fully funded scholarships to students. You may have to contact them to find out what the scholarship covers.
How to apply
The mode of application is online. The portal will be opened 6 weeks before the application deadline. The application process, including the application form, will be completed ONLINE; additional application documents will be submitted as PDF. You may visit the application portal (usually available from mid-January or mid-July on www.boell.de/studienwerk). Contact the scholarship provider here to more information on how to apply.
The Heinrich Böll Foundation holds the application process two times a year. However, there are two application deadlines each year – early March and early September. The application portal opens about 6 weeks before the application deadline. Applications for the 2017/2018 Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarships will open on 20 July 2016 (Autumn) and 26 January 2016 (Spring) to international students around the world. The next deadlines are 2nd September 2016 (Autumn) and 3rd March 2017 (Spring) respectively.
Heinrich Böll Foundation scholarship is a fully funded scholarship usually awarded to outstanding international students who intend to study in Germany at bachelors, masters and doctorate levels. All fields of study will be supported by this scholarship, but priority will be given to applicants in the following fields of study; Humanities and Social Science, Fine Arts and Cultural Studies, Economics, Law, Engineering, Media Science and Natural Science. The mode of application is online and the application portal opens 6 weeks to the application deadline. The next deadlines are 2nd September 2016 (Autumn) and 3rd March 2017 (Spring) respectively.