Estophilus scholarship is a scholarship awarded by the Estonian government to citizens of foreign countries with higher education masters, doctorate and post-doctorate researchers in their studies and research. The aim of this scholarship is to fund research and studies conducted in Estonia by academically advanced students interested in Estonian language and culture. The scholarship is financed by the Estonian Ministry of Education and Research and administered by the Estonian Institute.
To apply for this scholarship, ensure that you meet the following requirements:
- Eligible applications are those presented by holders of a doctoral degree or Master’s or Doctoral students who are citizens of a foreign state and are studying at a non-Estonian university abroad, to write a research paper on an Estonia-related topic or to gather material for it.
- Knowledge of Estonian is an advantage but not a requirement
Fields of study
All postgraduate taught programs
What the scholarship covers
This scholarship is fully funded and will cover expenses like living expenses, tuition fees and cost associated with the research. The scholarship for one month is 500 EUR (for example the scholarship for a period of five months is 2500 EUR.
How to apply
The mode of application is online. Make the following documents available before you start your application:
- Estophilus’ online application form
- The completed application form (Please send this form by regular mail)
- Plan of research
- Curriculum Vitae
- Certificate proving the applicant’s status as a postgraduate student or a copy of a document proving his or her PhD degree
- Written confirmation from an Estonian research or development institution to receive the applicant. In the confirmation letter, the receiver must give a short overview in Estonian about the research topic and justify the significance of the research for Estonia (max 1 A4).
- For postgraduate students a recommendation from their research supervisor
- The applications and accompanying documents, marked ‘Estophilus’, should be submitted both by electronic and regular mail to the secretariat of the Council at the Estonian Institute, Suur-Karja 14, 10140 Tallinn.
Click here to contact the scholarship provider for more information on how to apply.
The deadlines for scholarship application are 1st October 2016 and 1st March 2017