In 2008 the Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program to reinforce the ability of Canada to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and institute Canada as a universal centre of excellence and distinction in research and higher learning.
In various fields of study like Social sciences and humanities, Natural sciences, Engineering, Health and Social sciences, Vanier scholars display outstanding leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies.
Applicants who are considered eligible for this scholarship include Canadian citizens, foreign citizens and permanent residents of Canada. To nominated for a Vanier CGS, applicants must:
- Be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have gotten a Vanier CGS quota.
- Plan to pursue the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: DVM/PhD, MD/PhD, JD/PhD) research at the nominating institution; Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding.
- Be undergoing first doctoral degree including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as MD/Ph.D, DVM/Ph.D., JD/PhD (if it has a significant research component). Also it is imperative to note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is qualified for funding.
- Have not completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2017 (see calculating months of doctoral studies below);
- Have attained a first-class average, as established by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to make contact with the institution for its definition of a first-class average.
- Must not possess any doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from NSERC, CIHR, or SSHRC to assume or complete a doctoral degree
Fields of Study
Scholarships are offered to at Ph.D level to study any one of the courses offered by the Canadian universities.
What Scholarship Covers
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is rated at $50,000 per year. About 167 scholarships are awarded yearly and a total of up to 500 scholarships are active at any time. The duration of scholarship is three (3) years and it is non-renewable.
How to Apply
Applicants must have acquired their previous degree before applying; the method of applying is strictly online. Click here to contact the scholarship provider for more information on how to apply.
Test requirement: It is important to note that test requirements are not needed.
English Language requirement: International applicants from outside Canada will often need to attain specific English language and other language requirements in order to effectively study there.