The 2016/2017 Australian Government scholarship for African students is now open for application. This scholarship is awarded by the Australian government to African students who intend to study in Australia. The award is fully funded and will cover expenses like tuition fees, living expenses, accommodation, airfare etc.
Every year, the Australian government gives out lots of scholarships to African students to study in Australian universities. This year, upto 1000 postgraduate scholarships will be awarded. The aim of this scholarship is to provide access to postgraduate education, training and professional development opportunities for suitably qualified Africans from eligible countries. At the expiration of the scholarship, recipients will be expected to return to their home country and contribute actively to development of their country.
- Applicant must be at least 25 and not more than 50 years of age at the date of your application.
- Must have at least three (3) years’ relevant post graduate work experience. This work experience must be in a role relevant to your proposed field of study and to your employment organisation type (e.g. public sector applicants should demonstrate public sector work experience, and so on). Preference will be given to candidates with greater periods of experience.
- Applicants must posses a minimum of Bachelors degree (or the equivalent) from a recognized Institution of at least 4 years in length with at least a 3rd Class Pass.
- Public sector candidates must comply with Government of Nigeria regulations for government employees wishing to apply for scholarships
- Public sector, private sector and civil society candidates must provide evidence of completion of the National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) when they apply.
- Applicants must not already hold, or be studying for, a Masters degree.
- Applicants must be willing to make a formal commitment to return to your current employment following completion of the award.
- Applicant must meet the general minimum eligibility criteria for Australia Awards Scholarships – refer to the Australia Awards Scholarships policy handbook.
Only students from the following African countries are eligible to apply:
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroun, Cape Verde, Comoros, Congo(Republic of), Djibouti, Egypt, Ethiopia, The Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome & Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia etc
What the scholarship covers
The Australian government scholarship is a fully funded scholarship and will cover expenses such as tuition fees, living expenses, accommodation, airfare etc.
How to apply
The mode of application depends on your country. Click here to choose your country and follow the country specific instructions on how to apply.
- Applications for Scholarships open 1 September 2015 – 30 November 2015.
- Applications for Short Courses open 1 September 2015 – 18 December 2015.