The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) support a range of development-oriented postgraduate study programs at German Universities which targets at providing academically sound young professionals from newly industrialized and developing nations with further specialized studies.
The Development-Related Postgraduate Courses scholarships offers international graduates from all disciplines and with at least two years’ professional experience the opportunity to take a postgraduate or Master’s degree at a state or state-recognized German university, and in exceptional cases to take a doctoral degree, and to obtain a university qualification (Master’s/PhD) in Germany.
If you have no private financial resources or cannot obtain a scholarship from your government, company or an international organisation, you may apply for a DAAD scholarship. Applicants from developing countries are encouraged to apply.
For applicants to be considered qualified and eligible to apply, they must:
- Have English proficiency test scores like IELTS and TOEFL that meet up to the German University standard.
- Hold at least 4-year above-average Bachelor degree results.
- Have at least 2 years of full-time professional experience obtained after university degree
- Obtained their current degree no more than six years ago.
- Citizens of Developing Countries in Asia, Africa, South and Central America, Central and Eastern Europe and Pacific Islands.
- Please refer to the official website for information on age limit and for other complete eligibility requirements which must suit the particular course you are applying for.
What Scholarship Covers
Depending on the academic level, monthly payments of 750 euros for graduates or 1,000 euros for doctoral candidates is given. Also, payments towards health, personal liability, accident insurance cover is offered. The number of awards is not specified by provider, but many are given out every year, also the scholarship duration is 12 to 36 months, depending on the particular study program an applicant wishes to apply for. Scholarship also covers travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding.
Field of Study
Field of study covers postgraduate courses, these courses are offered in the following fields:
- Medcine and Public Health
- Veterinary Medcine
- Engineering and Related Sciences
- Economic Sciences/Business Administration/Political Economics
- Regional Planning
- Development Co-operation
- Media Studies
- Agriculture and Forest Sciences
- Social Sciences, Education and Law
- Environmental Sciences
How to Apply
All applicants must submit a DAAD application form, a hand-signed CV and other supporting documents. DAAD application forms are obtainable from the DAAD offices abroad, DAAD website, German Embassies or directly from the University. Note that there may be information specific to a country. Applications from Nigerian, Myanmar and Cameroon, and must be submitted through the German Embassy in those nations.
Apply directly to the chosen study programme. Please be sure to address applications to the postgraduate course directly! Applications sent via e-mail to the DAAD cannot be considered during the selection process.
Contact the scholarship provider here for more information on how to apply.
Deadline may vary from university to university, although the deadline of application depends on a chosen study program. Confirm from the scholarship brochure or website of your chosen course. Generally, the deadline varies between August to October 2016. At the German embassies, application deadline is 31 July every year. In a nutshell:
Application Deadline is 31 July – 31 October 2016