The Commonwealth Shared Scholarships which is offered by the UK Department of International Development is now open for application. This scholarship will be awarded to citizens of developing commonwealth countries who intend to pursue a masters or PhD program in the UK.
The Common wealth shared scholarship is awarded to outstanding students from developing countries who have not studied extensively overseas before, who would not otherwise have the opportunity to study in the UK, and who have the potential to enhance the development of their home countries with the knowledge and leadership skills they acquire. The aim of the scholarship program is to the UK’s international development aims and wider overseas interests, supporting excellence in UK higher education, and sustaining the principles of the Commonwealth.
- Applicant must be a Commonwealth citizen, refugee, or British protected person.
- Must be permanently resident in a developing Commonwealth country
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2016.
- By August 2016, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honours standard.
- Not have studied or worked for one (academic) year or more in a developed country.
- Be unable, either yourself or through your family, to pay to study in the UK.
Fields of study
Commonwealth Shared Scholarships are offered for selected taught Master’s courses, and are usually tenable for one year only. These scholarships do not cover undergraduate courses, PhD study, or any pre-sessional English language teaching.
How to apply
Applicant must apply for admission first at a UK university that is participating in the shared scholarship scheme. Click here to access list of participating universities. You must also make your application using the CSC’s Electronic Application System (EAS). Please note that you can apply for more than one course and/or to more than one university, but you may only accept one offer of a Shared Scholarship. The CSC will not accept any applications that are not submitted via the EAS to your UK University or applications directly from individuals. Click here to contact the scholarship provider for more information on how to apply.
The deadline for scholarship application is April 1st 2016