The 2015 AusAid Scholarship which was formally known as the Australian Development scholarship is now open for application. This scholarship is given out by AusAid to students who will like to live and study in Australia. The scholarship is for both undergraduate and postgraduate study in Australia. This scholarship will cover tuition fees, return air travel establishment allowance as well as overseas student health cover.
Australia Awards delivered under the Australian aid program continue a long tradition of development scholarships that have been an important component of the Australian government’s overseas aid program since the 1950s. They aim to:
- develop capacity and leadership skills so that individuals can contribute to development in their home country; and
- build people-to-people linkages at the individual, institutional and country levels.
Australia Awards contribute to the achievement of development objectives across a range of sectors and are a feature of nearly all of Australia’s bilateral aid programs. The Australian Government works closely with its partners in developing countries to ensure that Australia Awards support the development priorities of each country.
Following the Government’s announcement on 17 December 2012 to reprioritise resources within the aid budget, the 2012-13 revised budget estimate for the Australia Awards program is $331 million. The new budget estimate for Education reflects changes to global programs.
Fields of study/research
Study programs must relate to your country’s priority areas for development.
What the scholarship covers
- Full tuition fees.
- Return air travel—payment of a single return, economy class airfare to and from Australia, via the most direct route.
- Establishment allowance—a once only payment of A$5,000 as a contribution towards as accommodation expenses, text books, study materials.
- Contribution to Living Expenses (CLE) is a fortnightly contribution to basic living expenses paid at a rate determined by AusAID. From 1 January 2013, CLE payable to Scholars studying under an ADS is A$30,000 per year.
- Introductory Academic Program (IAP)—a compulsory 4-6 week program prior to the commencement of formal academic studies covering information on life and study in Australia.
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of the award (for award holder only)—provided to cover the student’s basic medical costs (with the exception of pre existing conditions).
- Pre-course English (PCE) fees—if deemed necessary PCE may be available for students for in-country and/or in-Australia training.
- Supplementary Academic Support may be available to ensure a Scholar’s academic success or enhance their academic experience.
- Fieldwork (for research students only)—may be available for eligible research students for one return economy class airfare via the most direct route to their country of citizenship or within Australia.
How to apply
There are two methods of application. Kindly check the one that applies to your country before you start the application.
Go to the OASIS Website here, when you register online, you will be required to answer some questions to establish your eligibility. You will then be given a unique registration number, username and password. You do not need to submit your application immediately. You can update your draft application form and supporting documentation until 30 April 2014, (or an earlier date specified on the relevant participating country profile). Once submitted, your application cannot be changed. We strongly advise applicants applying online to do so well before the closing date. (OASIS) experiences peak usage in the days leading up to the closing date and applicants may experience delays.
Application by mail
If you are unable to submit your application online, you can apply by mail. Please check your participating country profile for contact details to obtain a hardcopy application form and any other templates such as referee reports (if applicable).
Completed hard copy application forms and supporting documentation must be submitted by the deadline specified by your country. Click here for more information on how to apply
Scholarship application deadlines
Different countries have different application deadlines. Click here to see the specific deadline for your country