The 2014 Heinrich Böll Foundation grants is now open for application. This scholarship is for undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students of all subjects and nationalities who wish to study in German universities, universities of applied sciences (‘Fachhochschulen’), or universities of the arts (‘Kunsthochschulen’). Approximately 1000 scholarships will be given out. The deadline for scholarship application is September 1 2014.
The Heinrich Böll Foundation grants scholarships to approximately 1,000 undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students of all subjects and nationalities per year, who are pursuing their degree at universities, universities of applied sciences (‘Fachhochschulen’), or universities of the arts (‘Kunsthochschulen’). We expect our scholarship recipients to have excellent academic records, to be socially and politically engaged, and to have an active interest in the basic values of the foundation: ecology and sustainability, democracy and human rights, self determination and justice.
Applicants for an undergraduate or graduate
- Applications are open to students in all subjects who are pursuing a first degree (Bachelor, Staatsexamen, Diplom) and who earned their university entrance qualification (2) in Germany:
General student scholarships:
- You may apply before beginning your first degree (Bachelor, Staatsexamen, Diplom) or at any time up to the end of your third “Fachsemester”.
- Masters students cannot apply, because we aim to support students over the longer term. However, Bachelors students who have been awarded support may receive further support for a Masters course.
- Special (but not exclusive) target groups are: first-generation students, women, members of ethnic minorities, or applicants from universities of applied science (Fachhochschulen).
- Scholarship programme also focuses (but not exclusively) on certain subjects: especially the STEM subjects (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), particularly with a focus on environmental science (e.g. environmental protection, renewable energies, climate, etc.); economic and legal studies; journalism; and art studies.
- Germans and Bildungsinländer/innen may receive funding for a complete Bachelors programme outside Germany but within the EU. In this case, the application must include a detailed justification of the proposed location and subject.
- Student scholarship – journalism: “Medienvielfalt, anders: Junge Migrantinnen und Migranten in den Journalismus” (for German nationals and Bildungsinländer/innen)
- This programme is aimed at German or German-educated students with a migration background who wish to become journalists. Funding is not limited to students following journalism studies programmes.
- You may apply before beginning your study programme or at any time up to the end of your third “Fachsemester”. The conditions outlined in A.1. apply.
Applicants for a doctoral scholarship (PhD)
- Doctoral students in all subjects who earned their university entrance qualification in Germany (Germans nationals and Bildungsinländer/innen):
- At the time of application, the applicant must have been accepted as a doctoral student by a state-recognised institution of higher education in Germany or another EU country
- Preference will be given to dissertation projects related to the working areas of the Heinrich Böll Foundation
Note: If you consider applying for a doctoral scholarship in September 2014, please note that we will only be able to grant very few scholarships in this application process. Our focus will be on doctoral students in ‘STEM’ fields (i.e. Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics). In case your application is successful, please be prepared that the scholarship will probably be granted several months after receiving the letter of acceptance.
Fields of study/research
Scholarship is given for students to pursue all courses in German universities, universities of applied sciences and university of arts.
What the scholarship cover
Approximately 1000 scholarships will be given out to successful applicants
How to apply
The mode of application is online. Contact the scholarship provider here for more information on how to apply.
The deadline for scholarship application is September 1 2014.