Over 2,300 Benjamin A. Gilman scholarships will be given out to US undergraduate students wishing to study and intern abroad. This scholarship will be provided by the Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs of the US department of state, and students from all majors can apply. Scholarship worth $5000 each will be awarded to successful applicants. The deadline for scholarship application is 4th March 2014 for summer 2014 and Fall/AY 201-2015.
The Gilman Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide.
- Applicant must be US citizen undergraduate students who are planning to study and intern abroad.
- The applicant must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of his/her study abroad program or internship.
- The applicant is applying to or has been accepted into a study abroad program or internship eligible for credit by the student’s accredited institution of higher education in the US.
- The applicant is studying or interning abroad for at least four weeks in one country. Programs going to more than one country are eligible if the student will be in one country for at least four consecutive weeks.
- The applicant is studying or interning abroad in any country except Cuba or a country on the US Department of State’s current Travel Warning list.
Fields of study
Students from all majors are eligible to apply for this scholarship
What the scholarship covers
Over 2,300 scholarships of up to $5,000 will be awarded this academic year for US citizen undergraduates to study abroad. Award amounts will vary depending on the length of study and student need with the average award being approximately $4,000. Students who apply for and receive the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship to study abroad are then eligible to receive a Critical Need Language Award from the Gilman Scholarship Program of $8,000. Applicants who are studying a critical need language while abroad in a country in which the language is predominantly spoken will automatically be considered for the Critical Need Language Award.
How to apply
The mode of application is online. Click here for more information on how to apply.
Scholarship application deadline
The deadline for scholarship application is 4th March 2014 for summer 2014 and Fall/AY 201-2015.