The 2014 Beijing Government Scholarship for international students is now open for application. This scholarship is provided to pursue undergraduate, postgraduate and senior training or long-term language program offered in Chinese universities and colleges in Beijing region. All scholarship applications with application materials should be handed to the relevant university or college before the end of February 2014. This scholarship is open to all international students.
The Beijing Government Scholarship (BGS) was established by Beijing Municipal Government, aiming to provide tuition fees fully or partially to the international students studying or applying for studying in Beijing. Its administrative office is the International Cooperation and Exchange Office of Beijing Municipal Commission of Educations, which is in charge of project establishment, review, acceptance and daily management of the Beijing Government Scholarship Program. The international students applying for the Beijing Government Scholarships shall normally submit relevant materials to the universities in Beijing that he/she hope to apply by the end of February every year.
Applicants should meet the following eligibility criteria before applying for this scholarship:
- Applicants must be non-Chinese nationals in good health
- Applicants for undergraduate studies in Beijing must have completed senior high school with good grades and be under the age of 30. Applicants for Masters degree studies in Beijing must have Bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35. Applicants for Doctoral degree studies in Beijing must have Master’s degree and be under the age of 40.
- Applicants for advanced studies must have an undergraduate degree or be in the second year of a university course and be under the age of 50. Applicants for long term language study must have a high school diploma and be under the age of 60.
- Visiting scholar candidates in Beijing must have a Masters or higher degree or hold academic titles of associate professor or higher, and be under the age of 50
- An applicant receives financial support from other Chinese government scholarship programs or organizations/agencies would not be eligible for the Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students
Field of study
This scholarship is provided to pursue undergraduate, postgraduate and senior training or long-term language program offered in Chinese universities and colleges in Beijing region.
What the scholarship covers
The Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students only covers tuition fees. According to the applicants’ status, allowance for scholarship students can be classified into 5 types:
1) 40,000 RMB/year for a Doctoral degree
2) 30,000 RMB/year for a Masters degree
3) 20,000 RMB/year/ for a Bachelor degree
4) 10,000 RMB/year for senior training or long-term language program
5) 5,000 RMB/year for Exchange students or students with outstanding contributions to international education in Beijing.
How to apply
The mode of application is online. Please follow the steps below to ensure a hitch-free application:
- Applicants submit documents to the Chinese government office in charge of sending international students to China, relevant offices in the applicants’ home country, or the Chinese diplomatic missions or embassies in the applicants’ home country.
- Applicants may register via the web with the Beijing Education Commission http://www.bjedu.gov.cn
- Applicants may submit documents to Chinese institutions in Beijing directly
- All application materials should be handed to the relevant university or college before the end of February. Click here for more information on how to apply
Applicants must fill in and provide the following documents truly and correctly in English or Chinese language:
- Application Form for Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship (can be collected from the institutions in Beijing or downloaded from the school’s website)
- Highest diploma and transcript (notarized photocopy).
- Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (printed by the Chinese quarantine authority and only for those whose period of study in China is six months or greater).
- Applicants for Degree study or specialized research should submit a study plan (no more than 400 words) or a research plan (no more than 800 words)
- Applicants for music and fine arts are requested to submit personal works
- Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the legal documents of their legal guardians in China.
- Whether the applicants are admitted or not application documents will not be returned.
Scholarship application deadline
All scholarship applications with application materials should be handed to the relevant university or college before the end of February 2014