The University of Adelaide is giving out scholarships (Adelaide Scholarships International) to outstanding international students who wish to pursue a two years masters by research and three years doctoral research degree. Scholars will be selected on the bases of academic merit and research potential. The deadlines for scholarship application are: Round 2 is 30 November 2013, Round 3 is 28 February 2014 and Round 4 is 31 May 2014.
Adelaide Scholarships International (ASI) is available in the four scholarship rounds to outstanding international applicants from any country who have a First Class Honors result or equivalent, to support their study towards a Higher Degree by Research. Awards are available in all Discipline areas. Scholars will be selected on the bases of academic and research potential.
All applicants should meet the following eligibility criteria before applying for this scholarship:
- In order to be eligible applicants are required to have successfully completed at least the equivalent of an Australian First Class Honours degree (this is a four year degree with a major research project in the final year). All qualifying programs of study must be successfully completed.
- Scholarships will be awarded on academic merit and research potential. Extra-curricular achievements are not considered.
- International applicants who have not provided evidence of their meeting the minimum English language proficiency requirements for direct entry by the scholarship closing date, or who have completed a Pre-Enrolment English Program to meet the entry requirements for the intended program of study, are not eligible.
- International applicants must not hold a research qualification regarded by the University of Adelaide to be equivalent to an Australian Research Doctorate degree or, if undertaking a Research Masters degree, not hold a research qualification regarded by the University of Adelaide to be equivalent to or higher than an Australian Research Masters degree.
- Citizens and Permanent Residents of Australia, and citizens of New Zealand are ineligible.
- Candidates are required to enrol in the University of Adelaide as ‘international students’ and must maintain ‘international student’ status for the duration of their enrolment in the University.
- Those undertaking research via remote candidature are ineligible.
- Candidates who have applied for Australian permanent resident status can apply for ASI scholarships.
- International applicants are not eligible if they have already commenced the degree for which they are seeking an award, unless they can establish that they were unable to apply in the previous round.
- Scholarships holders must commence study at the University of Adelaide in the semester the scholarship is offered.
- The offer of a scholarship is contingent upon a student not being offered another award by the Commonwealth of Australia, the University of Adelaide, or an overseas sponsor. The University reserves the right to withdraw an offer of a scholarship at any time prior to enrolment if it is advised that an awardee has been offered a scholarship equal to or in excess of the financial value of the award offered by the University.
- Applicants who applied and were eligible for consideration in an international scholarship round, and were unsuccessful, will automatically be reconsidered in the following international scholarship round, assuming they hold a valid offer of candidature for that intake. An applicant who has been considered in 2 rounds cannot be reconsidered in any future scholarship rounds.
Fields of study/research
Awards are available in all Discipline areas.
What the scholarship covers
This scholarship covers the following:
- An annual living allowance ($25,392 in 2014) for two years for a Masters degree by Research and three years for a Doctoral research degree (an extension is possible for doctoral programs only).
- Course tuition fees for two years for a Masters degree by Research and three years for a Doctoral research degree (an extension is possible for doctoral programs only).
- If the award holder holds a subclass 574 visa the award covers the cost of compulsory standard Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) World care policy for the student and their spouse and dependents (if any) for the period of the scholarship. If the award holder does not hold a subclass 574 visa then he/she is responsible for the cost of health insurance.
How to apply
The mode of application is online. Click here for more information on how to apply.
Scholarship application deadline
The deadlines for scholarship application are: Round 2 is 30 November 2013, Round 3 is 28 February 2014 and Round 4 is 31 May 2014.