The Japanese Government’s Ministry of Education, Culture, sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) offers scholarships for academic study in Japanes language, Japanese affairs and Japanese culture. The purpose of these scholarships is to promote mutual understanding and deepening friendly ties between Japan and other countries through the application of advanced knowledge regarding Japan’s language and culture.
Applicants must be undergraduates at foreign universities majoring in fields related to the Japanese culture at the time of arriving and leaving Japan. The deadline of the application differs according to the country. Please contact with Japanese embassy or consulate general in your country
Japanese undergraduate scholarship
Selection Criteria and Eligibility
- Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the point of application is not eligible. Selection is conducted at facilities such as the Embassy/Consulate General located in the country of the applicant’s nationality. (This shall not necessarily be applied in cases where one embassy covers multiple nations).
- Applicants must be born between April 2, 1983 and April 1, 1995.
- Applicants must be undergraduates at foreign universities majoring in fields related to the Japanese language or culture at the time of arriving in and leaving Japan.
- Applicants must have Japanese language ability sufficient for receiving education at a Japanese university in Japan.
- Applicants must be free from any mental or physical disabilities that would be an impediment to the pursuit of university study.
- Applicants must definitely be able to arrive in Japan within two weeks counted from the starting day of the study course set by the university in Japan(usually October) and the period set by the accepting university.
Eligible African Countries
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Botswana, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Cape Verde, Chad, Comoros, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equitorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabonese Republic, Gambia, Ghana, Republic of Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagasca, Malawi, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Zambia and Zimbabwe
How to apply
Please visit the scholarship webpage for information on how to apply.