The University of Basel is inviting applications for start-up scholarships from PhD students to study in Switzerland in 2018. Applicants are reminded to ensure they comply with the eligibility criteria to avoid disqualification. The University of Basel is the oldest university in Switzerland. As a research-intensive university, it offers a broad range of degree programmes.
The Graduate School of Social Sciences (G3S) at the University of Basel provides the institutional framework for all graduate programs within the Department of Social Sciences. The working languages of the school are English and German.
Level: PhD degree
Field(s): Doctoral students in the G3S should have a background in a discipline of the Department of Social Sciences (e.g. Anthropology, Cultural Anthropology, Middle Eastern Studies, Political Science,Ssociology, see also: g3s.unibas.ch). They may likewise be trained in interdisciplinary fields also represented at G3S:
- PhD Program Gender Studies –Centre for African Studies
- MUBIT: Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies
- PhD Program Science of Religion
- International Graduate School North-South
- Sustainability Research –PhD Programs Cultural Anthropology:
Scholarship covers: Three start-up scholarships (30’000 CHF/12 months each) for the next academic year, beginning in April 2018.
School(Institutions/ Country): University of Basel | Switzerland
Eligible countries: International students are welcome to apply
- The University of Basel Start-Up Scholarships are directed at students holding a Master’s degree in one of the fields of G3S.
The scholarships are directed at students holding a Master’s degree in one of the fields of G3S. Doctoral students in the G3S should have a background in a discipline of the Department of Social Sciences (e.g. Anthropology, Cultural Anthropology, Middle Eastern studies, Political Science, Sociology, see also: g3s.unibas.ch). They may likewise be trained in interdisciplinary fields also represented at G3S:
- PhD Program Gender Studies: genderstudies.unibas.ch
- Centre for African Studies: zasb.unibas.ch
- MUBIT: Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies: nahoststudien.unibas.ch
- PhD Program Science of Religion: religionswissenschaft.unibas.ch
- International Graduate School North-South: igs-north-south.ch
- Sustainability Research: nachhaltigkeit.unibas.ch
- PhD Programs Cultural Anthropology: kulturwissenschaft.unibas.ch/studium/studienangebot/promotion
Dissertation projects are supervised by faculty members of the Department of Social Sciences at the University of Basel. We therefore strongly encourage applicants to contact potential supervisors concurrently to their application for a G3S-scholarship for preparatory project counsel.
Suitable dissertation projects must analyze current dynamics of social change. We are preferably calling for projects focusing on one or more of the following topics: Conflicts – Migration – Resources.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applications (English or German) may be submitted via email or in paper form to:
Dr. Andrea Zimmermann
Department of Social Sciences, University of Basel
The following documents must be included:
- Letter of motivation and Curriculum Vitae (with a list of publications if applicable)
- Draft of the PhD project (approx. 5 pages)
- 1-2 writing samples (at least one of which was submitted as an academic qualification requirement)
- Academic diplomas or transcripts/excerpt of the study registry (specifying the date and grade of the MA-degree).
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on November 15th, 2017
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be downloaded from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
For more inquiries about admissions and visas to study abroad, send an email email@example.com or call: +2347037293057, 08125835476