Tips on How to Apply for a Visa to Study in Germany and Finland


student visaWhen applications of students have been accepted by the institutions they are offered admission letters. The next process or step to make will be to apply for a visa to allow you travel and attend your chosen school.

This article will take a look on how to apply and get a visa or a study permit to be able to study in Germany or Finland.

It has been noticed that some people find it difficult to differentiate between a visa and a study permit, let us take some time to explain this.

A visa can be described as an approval made by an agent of a country who has the right to place it in a passport issued by another country, given permission to the holder of the passport to either transit through the country or enter and stay in the country.

A study visa is a document issued or given by the government of a country that gives permission or allows you to study in that country. It also affords you the opportunity to stay in the country for the duration of the program you are studying.


A student who is an EU national or a citizen of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland does not require a visa but for others citizens they will need a visa, once you have got an admission letter the next thing to do is to apply for a visa.

The following documents will be needed at the German Embassy

Evidence of financial resources

To show you can take care of yourself you will need to provide evidence of your financial capability. This evidence will include

Security on a blocked account

Proof of parents’ income and assets

Bank guarantee

Someone whose place of residence is in Germany agrees to assume the costs for you

Scholarship from a recognized scholarship foundation

Apart from these other documents could include

Fluency in German

Health certificate

Admission letter


Students are usually expected to take entrance exams before been accepted to study in Finland. If you are successful, you will need the following documents

Evidence of financial resources

Non EU/EEA students need to show they have of 560 pounds which is the least requested by the immigration agents, it is advised you have about 900 Euros monthly.



Visit the countries embassy with the necessary documents and you will be told what to do.

NOTE: It can take a lot of days, weeks or even months to get the visa so make sure you start the application process on time





One comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *