Greece is often regarded as the “birthplace of Western civilization,” with over 70,000 years of human history and development. The country is home to one of the oldest living cultures on earth. Students traveling to Greece will find that a richly varied geography, a long-established archeological tradition, a modern society and bustling economy are just some of the reasons that make Greece a fantastic place to study. In today’s post, we shall be looking at the cost involved in studying in Greece, application times, how to apply for admission and a list of low tuition universities.
Cost of living in Greece
The cost of living in Greece as a student will depend on the lifestyle and spending habbit of the student. As a rough guide, the average cost of living in Greece is approximately 1,000 Euros per month which usually covers expenses such as accommodation, food, books, travels, etc
Cost of studying in Greece
EU students who enroll for bachelors programs in Greece are usually exempted from paying tuition fees. But some master’s program may charge tuition fees. Non-EU or international students pay an average tuition fee of EUR 1500 per year for all study programs, which includes the course textbooks.
Application times and deadlines
If you are applying for undergraduate studies (first cycle) for the first time, you will have to submit your application usually by the end of July or the beginning of August of the same year you will be starting your studies.
How to apply for admission
To apply for admission into a bachelors program in Greece, you will need to submit it through the Hellenic Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs with the following documents:
- Two passport-sized photos
- The original school leaving certificate ratified by the competent educational authority of your home country
- A certificate to show not only your citizenship and origin, but also your parents’ citizenship and origin
- A certificate issued by the competent educational authority or diplomatic authority to confirm you qualify for higher education studies in your home country
- An official statement to show that you haven’t been enrolled in higher education studies in Greece previously or you don’t hold a degree from a Greek higher education institution
Once you have compiled these documents, submit it to the address below:
Hellenic Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs
37 Andrea Papandreou Str.
151 80 – Marousi
Please note that all documents must be translated into Greek and ratified for their authenticity by a Greek diplomatic authority abroad or by the Translation Service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Greece.
To apply for a postgraduate program, you will need to contact the institution of your choice directly, download the application form from their website, fill and submit it with all required documents. Once the school receives your application, you’ll be informed about the status of your application.
List of low tuition universities in Greece
- University of Piraeus
- Technical University of Crete
- University of Patras
- International Hellenic University