How to Study in Australia as a Tourist

Australia studyAustralia. Work. Study. Travel. These words evoke images of a utopian existence where it’s possible to lead a super-relaxed lifestyle and still manage to be a super-achiever.

With Australia’s world-renowned standard of education and equally world-renowned natural wonders, anyone would wonder if it’s possible to tour and study in Australia at the same time. The answer? A resounding yes, mate.

Summer programs

Several higher education institutions offer programs that allow you to study while spending summer in Australia. Through such programs, you get to travel the most scenic spots in Australia—and earn college credit on the side.

One institution that has implemented this program is no less than the University of New South Wales. The university has hosted five-week programs in many subjects, including but not limited to Australian environment, wildlife and conservation, tourism and event management; and energy.

Students of these short courses have gotten to visit Kakadu National Park, Uluru, the Blue Mountains, the Daintree Rainforest, Darwin, Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, and Cairns, among other majestic places.

Get the right visas

With the proper visas in place, you can visit Australia and further your education all at once.

Since March 2013, the Australian government has been offering visa subclass 600, also known as the Visitor Visa, effectively superseding the Tourist visa (subclass 676). The Visitor Visa is designed for tourists, on top of business visitors coming for a conference, contract negotiation or a similar activity.

One of the most interesting provisions in the new visa is that it allows you to study in Australia for up to three months. This is in addition to allowing visitations to friends and family and entrepreneurial activities that don’t involve employment or the sale of goods and services to the public. If you are from the People’s Republic of China, you can invoke the Visitor Visa if you plan on travelling with an organised group of tourists.

Alternatively, you may apply for a Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462), designed by the government with young people in mind, in hopes of bolstering cultural ties between Australia and certain countries. This visa gives you better leeway in education: You can study for up to four months on it. It also allows for as much as six months of work. All in all you can stay in Australia for up to a year on the Work and Holiday visa, and you can enter and exit the country as often as you’d like for its duration.

Eligible applicants for this visa are passport holders of Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Poland, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, and the US. Applicants need to be between 18 and 31 years of age and must not bring any dependent child.

Similarly, you may obtain the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417), which also lets you study and stay in Australia for up to four months and 12 months, respectively. This is largely the same as visa 462, except that it’s offered to passport holders of Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus,   Denmark,   Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta,     Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom. There is the condition, however, that you should be outside Australia when you lodge your application for this visa.

In both working holiday visas, the time element for studying will count weekends, public holidays, and non-teaching periods prior to examinations.

If you’re a citizen of New Zealand, you can come to Australia on a Special Category visa (subclass 444). Through it, you can study and work Australia, as long as you stay a citizen of New Zealand.

A skilled, qualified migration agent can help assess which visa is right for you.


Only in Australia would you find studying as tempting as lazing around. This is because Australia’s prestigious universities are as profuse as its natural wonders. Many of the country’s universities are ranked the best of the best in the world, consistently vaulting to the heady heights of international league tables.

Australian universities rank among the best research centres in the world. Everyone from NASA to the United Nations wait with bated breath for developments in science and technology from Australia. The experience of research in Australia is unique in itself. Where else do you apply veterinary medicine to kangaroos? Where else can you brush up on marine biology while taking in the grandeur of the Great Barrier Reef? There is no equivalent for such experiences in an American, Canadian or British university.

Exceptional, cerebral, and liveable, Australia straddles the best of tourism and education. Come, study and play in Australia.

Sharon Freeman is a professional freelancer who writes about education and the latest education trends in the world.


For more inquiries about admissions and visas to study abroad, send an email or call: +2347037293057, 08125835476



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *