How to apply for a student visa to study in Australia, US and Canada

VisaThe Australia student visa requirements


You cannot travel to Australia and expect to study longer than 3 months without the appropriate visa!

If you intend to study for more than 3 months, you must apply for a Student visa.

To obtain a visa to study in Australia you must be fully enrolled in an Australian institution and receive a “Confirmation of Enrollment (COE)”. These forms are issued by the Australian institution you will be attending. The forms are usually issued after the tuition fees have been received.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is compulsory and you will not be able to apply for your student visa until you have purchased a policy recommended by your host university.

What do I need to apply?

  • Application form obtainable from the web –
  • Visa Application fee
  • Confirmation of Enrolment Form (COE) this will be issued by the host university once the application has been accepted.
  • Acceptance letter from your host university, this will include the proposed study plan.
  • Letter (from your current institution confirming status as a Study Abroad Student)
  • Overseas health insurance receipt (issued when OSHC has been paid).
  • Passport
  • 2 passport sized photographs.

Can I work?

You will need to apply for a visa with ‘permission to work’ after you commence study. If you are given permission, there will be restrictions on the number of hours you will be allowed to work in a week. As an international student, you can work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the term, and unlimited hours during recognized periods of vacation.

Student Visa information on this website is an outline only. In our efforts to provide you with the best service we have partnerd with the UK’s leading provider of Student visas Study Options.



  • Ø The US student visa requirements


If you’ve decided that an American education is right for you, the only thing standing in your way is a little bit of paperwork. Whether you’re bound for Harvard or cosmetology school, all international students studying in the United States are required to obtain a student or exchange visa. Here’s a breakdown of everything you’ll need to know about the visa process.

Types of Visas

There are three types of student visas, each with its own slightly different set of requirements. Students attending an accredited U.S. college, university, or English language institute will need an F-1 visa or a J-1 visa. J-1 students tend to be those that are government sponsored, on exchange programs for a semester or year, or U.S. government sponsored. Students involved in non-academic pursuits at either trade or vocational institutions will need an M-1 visa. Although the stipulations of each type of visa vary slightly, all three visas require the student to maintain a full course load.

What You’ll Need

The first step toward studying in the United States is to get accepted into an American institution or exchange program. Once you are accepted, you will have to provide a financial guarantee showing that you have the funds to attend the school. The school will review and verify your financial information, and then will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (form I-20 for the F-1 Student Visa or DS-2019 for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa). You can schedule your visa interview once you have your Certificate of Eligibility; make sure to pay the SEVIS fee and the visa application fee before your interview date.

The next step is to complete a visa application (form DS-156) and a contact information/work history statement (form DS-158); both forms are available at your local U.S. embassy or consulate office or online at In addition, the DS-157 form is required of all male applicants aged 16 to 45 and all applicants over age 16 (male or female) who are citizens of Cuba, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria.

Note: The new DS-160 online visa application will eventually replace the DS-156 and DS-158 forms. Please visit the Web site noted above for a list of locations where the DS-160 is currently available.

Additional Items

You will also need to provide the following:

  • A passport valid for at least six months after you enter the United States
  • One passport-size photograph
  • A receipt for the nonrefundable visa processing fee (from a specific bank in each country that is identified on the consulate Web page)
  • A SEVIS receipt
  • Transcripts and diplomas from institutions you’ve previously attended (not always required and may need to be translated)
  • Documented proof that you or your parents will have enough money to cover tuition and living expenses for the duration of your stay
  • Documentation that you intend to return to your home country after finishing your course of study; this type of documentation can include (but isn’t limited to) proof of property or assets remaining in the home country, proof of immediate relatives in the home country, or letters from future employers

Once you’ve organized your documentation, you’ll need to make an appointment for your visa interview with your local U.S. embassy or consulate. Procedures on obtaining a visa interview vary from country to country. To get the most accurate information, consult the U.S. embassy Web site for your country at

The Interview

Tracking down the documentation is the hard part. Once you’ve scheduled the interview, you will only be asked questions verifying why you’re traveling to the United States, what you intend to study, and when you intend to leave. The interview will take place at your local U.S. embassy or consulate office. Although the length of the interview will vary from office to office, interviews are typically very short, lasting no longer than 30 minutes—in fact, only two to five minutes in most cases!

When to Apply

Visas can be issued up to 120 days (four months) before the scheduled date of departure. In order to make sure that you have your visa before your first day of classes, apply as soon as possible and provide enough lead time to wait for processing, as well as an interview. If you do not receive your visa within two to three weeks of completing your interview, contact your embassy or consulate to track your application packet.

After You Arrive

You can arrive in the U.S. no earlier than 30 days before the start date on your immigration document (I-20 or DS-2019). If you will arrive later than the start date on your immigration document, you should notify the school so that your arrival date can be deferred. After you’ve received your visa and arrived in the United States, you are required to report to your institution’s international programs office to ensure that you’ve been officially registered by the school. Most international offices will provide information on when to report, but if there is no information, you should report within 15 days of the start date on the immigration document. Designed as a one-stop resource for non-native college students, the international programs office will be able to answer any questions you may have regarding immigration rules, visa or passport renewals, obtaining financial aid, or on-campus opportunities for foreign students. Please check your pre-arrival packet for your institution’s policy.



  • Ø Canadian student visa requirements


Obtaining a study permit of Canada is a quick and easy method to get Canadian Immigration. If you are thinking to apply for a study permit for Canada, you have to read following steps for submission of appication for study permit in Canada.
First of all you have to obtain study permit forms in your country of origin at the Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Canadian Education Centre. The application for a student visa is also available online at cic website,



Necessary documentation for student visas canada:

It is critical that students submit all necessary documentation along with their applications of study permit to Canada. Missing documentation will cause delay the approval process of canadian student visa.
The documents listed below are generally needed bearing your application, local requirements may also apply for study permit in Canada.


1. Proof of identity:

This includes photocopies of a valid passport two recent passport-size photos (2″ x 2.5″) for each family member, with the date of birth and full name written on the backside of each photo.


2. Proof of financial support:

You have to prove that you have enough funds to fulfill your tuition and living costs in Canada. The living costs in Canada are approx $10,000 CDN (extra funds are required if there are other family members going with you).
You can prove your financial position by showing your own bank statements for the past four to six months, a Canadian bank account or a bank draft in convertible currency, or proof of payment of tuition and residence fees. (Tip: $10,000 CDN in addition to tuition fees per academic year are normally viewed as enough)


3. Medical examination:

Medical exams are necessary if your stay in Canada as a student is longer than six months and you come from a country with far above the ground health risks. The processing of medical will add quite a few weeks to the time essential to obtain a study permit. In rare cases, you may require a medical examination although your course is less than six months in duration.
4. Acceptance letter by an approved educational institution:

You have to add a proof of an acceptance letter from a recognized institute of Canada. The following information ought to be included in letter of acceptance:
· Name of the student.
· Date of Birth of the student.
· Mailing address of student.
· The course in which the student has been enrolled.
· The estimated duration of the course.
· Date on which the course begins.
· Last date on which the student must register for the course.
· The academic year which the student will be entering.
· Whether the course is full or part-time.
· Tuition fee.
· Any conditions of acceptance.
· Clear classification of the educational institution.
· Licensing information (In case private institutions)


This letter has to be signed by an official representative of the institution.

5. A proof of custodianship in Canada:

If you are a minor (less than 18 years of age), you must provide a notarized statement signed by your parents or legal guardian in the country of your origin in addition to a notarized statement signed by the guardian in Canada stating that sufficient preparations have been made for the guardian in Canada to act on behalf of a parent in times of urgent situation, for instance when medical attention is required.

Once you have finished the application forms and have collected the necessary documentation for student visa canada, go on to the visa office nearby you and submit the required information along with a fee of student visa canada.


After evaluation of your study visa application, a visa officer must be convince that you meet the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations and that your intension to get a student visa canada is just for study and live in Canada temporarily.


Once the visa officer is contented that you are a genuine student and all legal requirements are met, you will be issued a document which is required to be shown to an immigration officer at the port of entry in Canada in order to get a study permit there.
As your study permit will usually be valid for the period of your course, please make sure that your passport is also valid for that same period of time.


For more inquiries about admissions and visas to study abroad, send an email or call: +2347037293057, 08125835476

Be generous, share this...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Share on LinkedIn0Digg thisEmail this to someonePrint this pageShare on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest0




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *