VLIR-UOS is an organization that supports partnerships between universities and university colleges in Flanders (Belgium) and the South looking for innovative responses to global and local challenges. The organization is awarding fully funded scholarships to international students who intend to enroll for a masters program in Belgium.
Applicants must meet the following requirement s before applying for this scholarship:
Nationality and Country of Residence
A candidate should be a national and resident of one of the following 31 countries (not necessarily the same country) at the time of application:
Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Guinea, Cameroon, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Niger
Asia: Cambodia, Philippines, Indonesia, Palestinian Territories, Vietnam
Latin America: Bolivia, Cuba, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Nicaragua, Peru
The maximum age for a Master programme candidate is 35 years for an initial masters and 40 years for an advanced masters. The maximum age for a training candidate is 45 years. The candidate cannot succeed this age on January 1 of the intake year.
Professional background and experience
VLIR-UOS gives priority to candidates who are employed in academic institutions, research institutes, governments, social economy or NGO’s, or aim a career in one of these sectors. However, also candidates employed in the profit sector or newly graduated candidates without any work experience (for Master programmes) can be eligible for the scholarship.
The training candidate should have relevant professional experience and a support letter confirming (re)integration in a professional context where the acquired knowledge and skills will be immediately applicable.
Fungibility with other VLIR-UOS funding
A scholarship is not compatible with financial support within a VLIR-UOS funded IUC- or TEAM-project. Candidates working in a university where such projects are being organized, should submit a declaration of the project leader stating that the department where the candidate is employed is not involved in the project.
Former VLIR-UOS scholarship applications and previously awarded scholarships
A candidate can only submit one VLIR-UOS scholarship application per year, irrespectively of the scholarship type. As a consequence, a candidate can only be selected for one VLIR-UOS scholarship per year. The Master programme candidate has never received a scholarship from the Belgian government to attend a master programme or equivalent or was never enrolled in a Flemish higher education institution to attend a master programme or equivalent before January 1 of the intake year.
Fields of study
Master programmes (September 2017)
- Master of Human Settlements
- Master of Development Evaluation and Management
- Master of Governance and Development
- Master of Globalization and Development
- Master of Science in Food Technology
- Master of Aquaculture (IMAQUA)
- Master of Epidemiology
- Master of Agro-and Environmental Nematology
- Master of Rural Development
- Master of Statistics
- Master of Water Resources Engineering
- Master of Sustainable Territorial Development
- Master of Transportation Sciences
- Master of Cultures and Development Studies
- Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management (Oceans and Lakes)
Training programmes organised in 2017 (14-90 days)
- Sustainable Development and Human Rights Law (SUSTLAW) (13/02/2017-05/05/2017) – deadline for applications: 2/11/2016
- Health Management in Aquaculture
- Audio-visual Learning Materials – Management, Production and Activities (AVLM)
- Food Safety, Quality Assurance and Risk Analysis
- Modern breeding techniques of maize
- I-EBQ (International training on Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Qualitative research methods)
- Clinical Nutrition – the North-South experience
What the scholarship covers
The VLIR-UOS scholarship is fully funded and covers the following for training and masters programs:
For training programs
- Allowance: € 33/day
- Several one-time payments
- Accommodation, insurance, international travel and tuition fee
For masters programs
- Allowance: € 890/month
- Accommodation allowance: € 390/month
- Family allowance: € 62 per dependent person/month
- Several one-time payments
- Insurance, international travel and tuition fee
How to apply
Applicants must first apply for admission into a masters or training program visit the website of the training or Master programme of your interest. In the application, ensure you mention whether you wish to apply for a scholarship. In case you do, the programme coordinator forwards your application to VLIR-UOS. Click here to contact the scholarship provider for more information on how to apply.
The application deadline varies by program
For more inquiries about admissions and visas to study abroad, send an email firstname.lastname@example.org or call: +2347037293057, +2348125835476